• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grunting Sounds

sugarlump

Alpha Buck
Can anyone tell me why rabbits grunt?
Peppa was running round me yesterday making really soft grunting noises. Ive never heard it before and wondered why she might be doing it.
Any ideas? :bunny::bunny:

My Cookie does it when frisky, happy. Honey makes a deepier sounding grunt to warn Cookie of food she is eating. You can tell whether it's a happy or grumpy grunt - I can with my two anyway. Could be excitement at food coming or just pleased to see you. :)

I run a small website on bunnies, here's a section explaining rabbit behaviour:
http://pixibunni.weebly.com/behaviour.html

'Growling: (same as grunting really)
They're not happy, maybe you're put something in the wrong place, touched a whisker or invaded their 'space', careful when a bunny growls as it can also be followed by a nibble of displeasure.'

However by the sounds of it, your pepper is a horny bun :oops:

My Maisie makes grunting noises when she's eating. Either she has no manners or its because shes happy! :D

Thanks everybody.
Im just telling myself she loves me and it sounds like its a good job shes off to the vets on thur then :lol:(to be spayed)
And then I can think about bonding my two.:shock:
Ohh im so excited.....
How long do I have to wait for the hormones to die down?
They are both girls 5 and 6 months..Any advice greatly received:wave:

Orla makes little grunting noises when shes running about, eating, when I come home from work.....maybe shes part Guinea Pig? :lol:

Thanks everybody.
Im just telling myself she loves me and it sounds like its a good job shes off to the vets on thur then :lol:(to be spayed)
And then I can think about bonding my two.:shock:
Ohh im so excited.....
How long do I have to wait for the hormones to die down?
They are both girls 5 and 6 months..Any advice greatly received:wave:

Tis a few weeks.Just watch the behaviour.
My little man was 6 weeks for his fertility to go.

My 4 year old Belgian hare grunts a lot when I am giving her head rubs and a lot of teeth grinding. She reminds me of a cat purring when they're happy.

My baby (5 month) conti grunts a lot when she is out in the garden.

Back