• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Charlie ill again :(

Jupiter

Warren Scout
Charlie has been battling his eye infections for months now, vet said there was nothing more they could do about his eye, I just had to squeeze the pus out from his tear duct and try and keep it clean - which has been difficult because the gunk has stuck to his fur and he has had to have most of it cut off as it became crusty and smelly. Anyways, back to vets this week as his eye was very swollen and vet says as his third eyelid is swollen it could be a sign of an abscess or a tumour. He had had anti b's again and I have them to give him orally for a few days more. He has to go back on Tuesday to see how he is going but vet said that really if he wasn't any better, the best thing to do would be to let him go. He has been a lot quieter recently, not his normal self, I just don't know what to do, I don't want him to suffer but if there really is no hope I guess its the kindest thing to do. Am very upset, I will be beside myself next week.

Is he having regular pain relief ?

Has he had skull radiographs to assess the extent of the infection, if it is tooth root related and if there is a retrobulbar abscess ?

He has had pain relief but the anti-b's tend to pick him up temporarily so he is a bit more like his old self. I really dont think its tooth related at all - I think its snuffles related and a complication of his head tilt??

He hasnt had any radiographs but he has been to and fro from the vets ever since he started with his the head tilt (which I am confident was not EC related but more ear infection) I am just crossing my fingers that the anti b's etc will take the swelling down. He is 3 and a half and I am led to believe that living with snuffles will reduce his expected life span.

Just dont know what to do for he best, my poor baby seems to be constantly battling and I have tried so hard over the last 3 years to fight his battles for him that I don't know if I am being cruel or kind now. X

He has had baytril and Dupamox injections and has Baytril orally twice a day. Seems a bit perkier tonight but dont know what to think. X

He has had baytril and Dupamox injections and has Baytril orally twice a day. Seems a bit perkier tonight but dont know what to think. X

I have found that using Metronidazole in combination with another abx-eg Depocillin (similar to Duphamox) is often effective in the management of chronic infection when anaerobic bacteria are likely to be involved. Maybe you could ask the Vet about this ?

I will definitely ask him. I need to know that I have done everything I can for him - he has been so special to me, he is more like a dog than anything! LOL! He will let me do anything to him, he trusts me. And he is so funny and has such character, he has taught me a lot. I wish his girlfriend Lola were more like him!!

If he is still being his normal self and is eating and not stressed or depressed by lots of hands on nursing care then maybe he is not ready to leave yet.

I am sure that you will do whatever is best for him xx

Took him back to vets today, usual vet wasn't in which I was very disappointed about. Stand in vet (who I don't think is that good really) has given him 10 more days of Baytrill. Swelling has gone down a lot and Charlie is seeming much more like himself but vet said anti biotics will have to stop soon as its not good for him to be on them long term - which I understand. Another HUGE vet bill but to have him hopping around is worth it. X

Might be worth trying....

Hello, would you consider using herbal remedies as well? A friend of mine who is interested in that kind of thing used to tell me about a herb called Eyebright, which he had used both on himself and his dog to good effect - this is the Wikipedia entry where you can find out more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphrasia

a quick search reveals you can buy it here
http://uk.shopping.com/pet-supplies-and-accessories/other-material+eye-and-ear-care/products

Good luck Charlie! xx

Charlie's eye glued together again this morning and I can tell he doesn't feel too great. I bathed it and got it open but not sure how much sight he has now to be honest, not that it worries me, I could cope with that.

Am supposed to go back to vets on Friday but if no better by next week I will have to take him back earlier and I don't think it will be good

Took Charlie back today, he had some penicillin and more anti b's plus I have more to give him over Sat and Sun but if no improvement by Monday he will have to be PTS :(

Got upset in vets just at that so heaven knows what monday will have in store.

I'm so sorry :cry: I've read your recent post and this whole thread several times and just don't know what to say but keep coming back to it as I feel awful not saying anything at all.

I can only repeat what Jane has asked earlier on, has bun had Xrays to assess the extent of infection and to determine 'what' exactly is going on with your bunny's eye? tumour? retrobulbar abcess etc? I appreciate that you have already tried some strong abx... this was going to be my suggestion. Will your vet consider the metronidazole or some Xrays? Or do you feel that bunny has had enough? Only you know the answer to this. Just wanted to offer you my condolences and will keep everything crossed the penicillin will make a break through on the infection over the weekend. x

Off to vets now - no marked change - I don't think I will be coming back with him. Am so upset, not just for him but for Lola too - what can I do to make this less traumatic on her?

Off to vets now - no marked change - I don't think I will be coming back with him. Am so upset, not just for him but for Lola too - what can I do to make this less traumatic on her?

I'm so sorry :cry:

If you do pts then I would suggest bringing him back with you so that you can put him with Lola until she has had time to say her goodbyes as well.

Thinking of you x

He's gone, I can't believe it, my head knows it was kindest and for the best but my heart is breaking, I couldnt bring him home just couldn't do it but I held him until he went. Thanks for all your help and thoughts with Charlie I really do appreciate it. X

Back