• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fostering - what's involved?

Autumn

Warren Scout
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea as to what is involved in fostering for rescues? For example, facilities required, cost etc

Many thanks x

Each rescue varies. Some supply accommodation, they usually all supply food and vet bills you just supply veg and hay. Perhaps get in touch with a local rescue and ask them about it.

There's been a few of these threads recently, maybe search for 'fostering' in the title and have a read of what has been said :)

As above - when I fostered I supplied accomodation and food although they did give me a HUGE bag of excel when I picked Fudge up. They paid for vets bills etc when needed. Which rescue were you thinking of fostering for?

I'm sure you do know we are near you as you had considered adopting from us:D

Then there are several in Notts and then over Birmingham way there is Fat Fluffs which I know you are also familiar with:D

Ideally you need transport to get to a good vet, preferably the one the rescue uses. You need to keep the animals quarantined and away from your own, Secure and well cared for.
The hardest part is giving then up..so be warned!

sorry to hijack... can they run around on the same grass as our own buns, just at different times?

and are there any rescues near me in Stotfold (SG5) or close enough to be helpful

I would like to foster too, once my leg heals and I can drive again of course!

I'm sure you do know we are near you as you had considered adopting from us:D

Then there are several in Notts and then over Birmingham way there is Fat Fluffs which I know you are also familiar with:D

Ideally you need transport to get to a good vet, preferably the one the rescue uses. You need to keep the animals quarantined and away from your own, Secure and well cared for.
The hardest part is giving then up..so be warned!

I knew you were leics/notts - am embarrassed to say i don't even know where fatt fluffs is :oops: just noticed that they needed a homecheck in my postcode!

Can you tell me how honeybunnies works fostering re:accomodation etc? I would be looking at having a bunny room rather than cage/hutch set up.

I have recently started fostering, I supply everything apart from vets bills. My newest foster Cookie has been a challenge to say the least but very rewarding and she has taken a lot of extra time/work due to her behaviour issues, whereas my previous fosters were an absolute dream.

And yes you get very attached and want to keep them all. But I am loving it.

A lot of blood, sweat, tears and most definitely heart break... but it's all worth it in the end.

sorry to hijack... can they run around on the same grass as our own buns, just at different times?

No, absolutely not I'm afraid. Both e.cuniculi and coccidiosis can be passed on through rabbit urine/poop so if any bun has one of these illnesses the spores would get onto the grass and into the soil and stay there potentially for several weeks or even months. If another bun then grazes on that contaminted grass the diseases could be passed on, and they are both pretty common illnesses for buns to be 'carriers' of even if they are not showing active illness so it's just not worth the risk. They need to be kept completely separate to minimise the risks as far as possible.

Agree with the others that exactly what is involved and at what personal cost depends on the rescue and what you choose to do (e.g. even if the rescue says they will provide food, a lot of fosterers will provide it themselves). Also worth thinking about what type of bunnies to take. When I used to foster for Briar Patch before it closed I used to take the ones that weren't ready for rehoming, so aggressive buns, overweight ones that couldn't be neutered yet, youngsters too small to be neutered yet etc or just emergency additional capacity. Some rescues use a network of fosterers for all their buns (which then includes additional logistics when someone wants to view a bun to adopt) whereas others use them just for specific circumstances. Best talk to a rescue/rescues and see what/where/how would fit best with what you're able to offer :)

Back