• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best hay for their teeth?

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
I saw a new vet today when i took 3 of them for their myxi jabs, not sure if she's bunny savvy but she was lovely, so friendly and talkative :)

She also said that all of buns were gorgeous and really well looked after :D She also loved Paddy's hair-do :lol:

The downside to the visit was that Jose's small spurs are still there, and now Rainbow seems to have developed them too :(

Are some hays better than others for grinding their teeth down? At the moment they just have normal bale hay and Excel Herbage

Generally speaking a tougher coarser hay will provide more of a work-out and therefore more dental wear - timothy 2nd cut is an example of this - very stalky and tough. Alternatives with similar coarsness are oat and other cereal hays.

However, all hay and grass contains abrasive silicates and promotes the right type of chewing action so overall as long as bun eats hay/grass then you are doing the right thing. :)

Who said bunnies are easy pets to keep? I have the same worry with teeth with my Honey. She does eat a lot of hay which I buy in bales from the horse supplies shop but still seems to be a problem. If anyone knows of some magic hay please let us know.:wave:

Long coarse hay :) Excel isnt the best for teeth, you could mix it in though to encourage them to eat it

My rabbit chews straw a lot. He liked the thick strand oat hay from a Hay Experts sample pack, but as soon as I bought a larger bag of it he went off it. He likes Timothy and Meadow hays, but they are quite thin strands.

My rabbit chews straw a lot. He liked the thick strand oat hay from a Hay Experts sample pack, but as soon as I bought a larger bag of it he went off it. He likes Timothy and Meadow hays, but they are quite thin strands.

I know I shouldn't, but this made me laugh :lol::lol:

It's a very familiar little story with my animals, so it's nice when it happens to other people too :lol:

xxx

I know I shouldn't, but this made me laugh :lol::lol:

It's a very familiar little story with my animals, so it's nice when it happens to other people too :lol:

xxx

It's OK, I wouldn't have posted if I didn't see the funny side - it turned into very expensive bedding hay. :roll::lol::roll::lol:

Back