• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blind Bunny

Kax0r

New Kit
So, today, my 8-9 year old rabbit (not sure, got him from a shelter) just got diagnosed with, well.. blindness. It appears to have happened VERY rapidly. How do I care for a blind bunny? What should his diet be? How can he.. find his food? He does not have a rabbit buddy.

He did, however (which I find INCREDIBLY odd), when I tried to pick him up to kinda show him around he ran off outside of his cage and went to his usual hiding spot (which is an incredibly small corner, I'm amazed he got in there without bumping his head)

He hasn't had much to eat at all today.

Hello, I am sorry to hear that your bunny has become blind. I am not experienced in caring for blind bunnies, but I know there are RU members that are, and can hopefully give you some helpful advice.

The one thing I do know is important is to keep their physical environment the same - so that everything is in a familiar place. I wonder if this might be why he ran off and hid in a place that felt safe for him?

If you are worried about him not having eaten much you need to take him to a vet. Stress can cause bunnies to stop eating but if their tummies slow down and they stop eating, it can cause stasis which is very serious and needs urgent vet attention. Can you tempt him to eat by putting some fresh grass/dandelions/parsley or kale under his nose?

Hello, I am sorry to hear that your bunny has become blind. I am not experienced in caring for blind bunnies, but I know there are RU members that are, and can hopefully give you some helpful advice.

The one thing I do know is important is to keep their physical environment the same - so that everything is in a familiar place. I wonder if this might be why he ran off and hid in a place that felt safe for him?

If you are worried about him not having eaten much you need to take him to a vet. Stress can cause bunnies to stop eating but if their tummies slow down and they stop eating, it can cause stasis which is very serious and needs urgent vet attention. Can you tempt him to eat by putting some fresh grass/dandelions/parsley or kale under his nose?

He's had a few bites here and there, mainly parsley, but also only when I kinda put it under his nose, tickle his whiskers, and kinda hand-feed it to him. I don't want him to become too dependent on this.

I would keep an eye on how much he is eating and if he is not eating, pooing or weeing, take him to the vets.

Bunnies tend to rely on their noses quite a bit for food anyway so he should still be able to find his food.

As I say I am not experienced with blind bunnies myself but hopefully some others will be on in the morning to give you more advice.

I would keep an eye on how much he is eating and if he is not eating, pooing or weeing, take him to the vets.

Bunnies tend to rely on their noses quite a bit for food anyway so he should still be able to find his food.

As I say I am not experienced with blind bunnies myself but hopefully some others will be on in the morning to give you more advice.

He pis't all over himself, his leg, and me on the way to the vet today, but other than that he hasn't done an incredible amount of anything.

Sudden/rapid blindness could be due to the EC parasite. Did the vet give you a reason as to his symptoms?

Did he see the vet before he wasn't eating or has he only stopped eating since seeing the vet? Was he given any medication and is he producing any droppings?

My rabbit became blind.
he still eats and drinks perfectly well as he knows were his food and water bottle is. He also knows were his wee hidey hut is and will jump on and off/ go into it confidently and never hits anything while in his hutch.

Louie has been blind since birth but you would never guess!

He runs up and down the garden steps, he does sometimes trip himself up though! He leaps and jumps around, negotiates round his familiar territory but sometimes takes a wrong turning and ends up where he obviously didn't intend to be!

The worst thing I find is that he startles very easily and goes into mad panic mode, knocking everything over.

He also never goes upstairs or jumps onto anything high as he obviously doesn't realise he can.

Overall though it doesn't appear to affect his quality of life at all :D

Louie has been blind since birth but you would never guess!

He runs up and down the garden steps, he does sometimes trip himself up though! He leaps and jumps around, negotiates round his familiar territory but sometimes takes a wrong turning and ends up where he obviously didn't intend to be!

The worst thing I find is that he startles very easily and goes into mad panic mode, knocking everything over.

He also never goes upstairs or jumps onto anything high as he obviously doesn't realise he can.

Overall though it doesn't appear to affect his quality of life at all :D

I had no idea your beautiful Louie was blind! :shock: I'm pleased to hear he manages so well. :)

Peanut can find his litter box now, but he still doesn't seem to eat unless I bring food directly to him or pick him up and put him by his bowls. He is also slightly reclusive, not coming out from under his cage.

Back