• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anyone ever had two bunnies fight then gone on to bond them?

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
As you may know my first two rabbits (and they were meant to be the only two :oops::lol:) were Harvey and Zero. We got Harvey neutered and we thought Zero was a girl, so we tried to bond them. Zero was actually a boy, and as a recently neutered buck and unneutered buck will do, they tried to tear each other apart. Zero took a chunk out of Harvey's leg, and we separated them.

After we found out that Zero was male and had him neutered, we tried to bond again, this time with Zero as a recently neutered buck and Harvey had been neutered about 8 weeks, so pretty recent. This was stupid I know, but I didn't realise at the time. They fought.

So I gave it up as a lost cause and decided to get them partners, and long story short Harvey is part of a trio with Jasmine and Daphne, and Zero is paired with Lucy. I would like to bond them into a group of 5, and put them in the room that Zero and Lucy are in as a base (think the room is about 8ft x7ft) and give them free range time.

Does this sound feasible?

Is the room big enough?

And... has anybody else had two bunnies who have had a massive fight and gone on to be bonded? If yes, please share your bonding story :D

Ohh yes - where do I start!!!

Charlie and Oreo had a big fight - Oreo had a hole bitten in his ear, fur everywhere - screaming - really really bad :cry: this was when one jumped into the others pen though...
My first bonding experience - Charlie and Oreo fought again terribly... now look at them
CIMG2914.jpg

When bonding the group the first time, they all fought but Sooty was awful to Mittens... just would not stop picking on her!
Second (and last) time fingers crossed all is ok and they were no trouble at all went together easily - as I think they remembered each other from the first time - so its definetly do-able and I can tell you group dynamics change all the time!!
My first try was trio - sooty, oreo, Charlie.... Charlie was always going to be the odd one out as Sooty and Oreo had been side by side several months and oreo had claimed Sooty as his!!
2nd attempt was the foursome - Sooty and Charlie paired and Oreo and Mittens paired - so basically swapped partners -Charlie was obsessed with Sooty but so was oreo and when Mittens got ill I decided to spilt into 2 pairs as Sooty was bullying Mittens...
Even though Charlie didnt pay much attention to Mittens in the foursome - he bonded brilliant with her straight away once away from Sooty!
They stayed in 2 pairs for a while and now they are back in the 4 - Charlie has stuck by Mittens this time and is nowhere near as besotted with Sooty if anything he spends more time with Oreo!!
Phew that was long...... but what im trying to say is buns change with different buns - the hierarchy will be totally different with 5!!!

Thank you :wave: I thought you had had a fight somewhere along the line. Am I right in thinking nursecroft and lottielouise have had buns fight but managed to get them bonded eventually?

I just feel like they belong together. I know it's a bit selfish but it was always my intention to have Harvey and Zero together. I'd never force it of course but if it's possible...

Yes I think Nursecroft did - I would definetly try - its worth a go!! I think it gets a bit easier with more (though dont quote me to that). Lottielouise managed her 5.. Kris at starlights is bonding 8!!! :shock:

Would you do it? or would someone do it for you?

I think I would have to do it, not sure if there are any local rescues that would help and I don't have a car so I'd struggle to get to a rescue anyway. I've done all my other bonds myself but boys/girls are easy compared to boy/boy :shock: and I don't even know how Jas and Daphne would react to poor little Lucy

It is possible to rebond two fallen out bunnies, but it can take months of extreme patience and hard work. Before their snip, Firefly and Batbunny fell out badly and had a huge fight, Firefly needed antibiotics for a scratched eye and a gash on his chest. I managed to rebond them six months later after their snip, and it take dedication, I'll tell you that much! :shock:

It is possible.

~Two of my girls had an incident 3 years ago prior to bonding them.
Moonshine was upstairs in her indoor cage with her babies, while Shadow and Storm (who were then just a bonded 2) were freeranging downstairs. Storm was only 8 weeks old.

Moonshine learnt how to open indoor cages, and I saw something black fly past the hallway. I ran into the kitchen in time to see Moonshine throw Storm into the wall by her throat as Storm let out a huge scream :shock: a year or so on, I bonded them into a 4, then a 6! Now I am bonding my 5 remaining girls to our 3 permanent residents.

The ratio is 6 girls to two boys :D

Yep, took me 4 months to bond the two in my siggy. They love each other lots not. Katy was aggressive but now she is very subservant towards Homer (they have been together 4 years now). We are trying to bond another female with them but Katy is not playing but I haven't given up just yet!

Back