• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RU I really really need your advice... - What would you do?

I've been asked to rehome/help rehome a continental giant.

Basically I sold him to a family about a year ago when I worked in a petshop. I found out today that he needs a new home. One of the familys children became terminally ill, and she had claimed him as her rabbit and had a really close bond with him. The family found out that their daughter only had 2 months to live and went back to the store to ask for some help to find a female giant to bond with the rabbit. The manager said that it was basically their responsibility and they couldn't/wouldn't help, although my friend (who works their and contacted me) found a female in a rescue. The daughter died and the family didn't go to the rescue. Now one of their other daughters apparently can't look at the rabbit without crying so they have decided to rehome him. I hope all that makes sense!

Apparently they went into the store today and spoke to my friend and were asking for me, or whether there was any way he could contact me. They want me to help rehome him.

I'm very tempted to have him, then they can visit if they want to. But my heart and my head are at war, and have been for the last 4 hours. If I do I'd need another shed and my garden is tight for space as it is, and a companion for him. Then I thought about bonding a 4 with Roxy, Chaos and Moo, but I have never bonded any more than a male/female pair, and then theres the fact that Chaos and Moo are teeny dutchies, and Roxy is a delicate Rex.

I really don't know what to do... but I sold him, so I feel it's my responsibilty to help.

If anybody can understand anything I've written here and has any advice or ideas at all?

Last edited:
I know someone in Hampshire looking for a giant...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=246923

How sad about the poor family whose daughter died. :( I've got to say though it doesn't sound like you're in the position to have him yourself, not long term anyway. I'm sure there's a fantastic home out there for him somewhere. His new owners would have to be very hard hearted not to allow the old ones to come and visit, so don't worry too much about that. Lots of 'lovely-new-home' vibes for him!

Last edited:
:( I've got to say though it doesn't sound like you're in the position to have him yourself, not long term anyway. I'm sure there's a fantastic home out there for him somewhere. His new owners would have to be very hard hearted not to allow the old ones to come and visit, so don't worry too much about that. Lots of 'lovely-new-home' vibes for him!

This is what my head is saying

Couldn't read and run. Talk to the family, can you afford this bun? Could you take him short term until a permenant home could be found?

Thanks :wave: I will be speaking with them tomorrow, I couldn't think of anything to say today :oops:

Short term isn't an option - He'd never leave :lol: He's a lovely rabbit with bags and bags of personality!!

ETA - missed the main point of your post - Financially, yes I could afford to have him.

Last edited:
I'd so have him! :wave: (Helpful aren't I?! :p:lol:).

My conti's bonded to two much smaller bunnies so I think I'd have a go at getting him bonded into a group. If that didn't work then I guess there'd be no option but to rehome if you don't have the space.

It'd be lovely if the young girl could visit too. :love:

Could he be a house bunny? He sounds lovely. I'm not helping am I :roll:

Sadly not. There are hutches bigger than my house:lol::lol:

I have more space outside than floorspace inside. My kitchen is so tiny the fridge is in the lounge. I tell people how small my house is and they never believe me, then they come round and are like :shock::shock::shock: :lol::lol:

I'd so have him! :wave: (Helpful aren't I?! :p:lol:).

My conti's bonded to two much smaller bunnies so I think I'd have a go at getting him bonded into a group. If that didn't work then I guess there'd be no option but to rehome if you don't have the space.

It'd be lovely if the young girl could visit too. :love:

Oh Georgie_f your really not helping here!! :lol::lol:

Is your conti gentle with your little buns? Or the other way round are the little buns gentle with him?!

IF it could work, and this is a MASSIVE IF, I could get rid of 2 hutches, have a reshuffle and probably free up about 15ft in length down the fence and possibly 6-8ft wide.

Is your conti gentle with your little buns? Or the other way round are the little buns gentle with him?!

IF it could work, and this is a MASSIVE IF, I could get rid of 2 hutches, have a reshuffle and probably free up about 15ft in length down the fence and possibly 6-8ft wide.

My conti is a big teddy bear! He was originally just bonded to Jess but Brian let himself into their shed :)oops::roll:) and Thistle just accepted him. Brian had only been neutered for two weeks or so and he walked straight into Thistle and Jess's territory. Thistle could easily of done a lot of damage to little Bri, but he didn't even bother standing up when Brian started humping him! :lol: He's so relaxed about everything.

The only problem I occasionally have is when they're free-ranging. As Thistle's eyesight isn't 100% (he's a REW) he sometimes runs straight into the other two and knocks them over! :roll:

I have a video of him being a great big softy here - http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=470126238573&saved - Not particulary on subject, but it's cute! :D:lol:

Sounds like you've made your mind up? :lol:

Back