• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cheap and safe heating for garage - any ideas?

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

I'm having to make the difficult decision to put my house bunnies in the garage as I can't trust them not to chew anymore when free range and if I put them in a pen they've not got as much room as they need.

So we've got a garage connected to the house so I can still see them all day but with the door open, it's sucking all the heat out of the house. I'm going to draft proof it better and then get a heater for the garage so wondered if anyone can recommend an efficient safe heater please??

Thanks!

Tubular heaters are good but you would have to put it in an area that there is no way they can possibly get at it. You can get mesh guards for them. You would probably need quite a big one for a garage.

I am assuming you just want to heat the garage to stop it getting very cold but don't want to heat it to the same temperature as your house.

If you wanted to heat it to the same temperature as your house it would be most cost efficient to let your central heating do the work as they are cheaper to run than electric heaters.

Great thanks for the info.

Yeh it would just be to take the edge off the Temperature difference assuming I can get them out there before the weather gets too cold so they can grow a winter coat.

Think we'd be throwing money away to try to heat to same temp as house as there is no insulation or decent doors even and it's just a rented house.

Will a tubular heater be ok 'in' their pen but out of reach do you think?

i used hay bales in my garage in my old house but i had quite a few foster buns then:lol:

what ever you decide to do, you do need to make sure you still have some ventilation or you could have a damp prob

Great thanks for the info.

Yeh it would just be to take the edge off the Temperature difference assuming I can get them out there before the weather gets too cold so they can grow a winter coat.

Think we'd be throwing money away to try to heat to same temp as house as there is no insulation or decent doors even and it's just a rented house.

Will a tubular heater be ok 'in' their pen but out of reach do you think?

I would still put one of the protective grills/cages you can get to go around them and also make sure any wiring is protected too.

Back