• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Daisy Sunshine - megacolon problems, not doing well U/D home :)

giantbunnymummy

Warren Veteran
I know i've not been around much but thought I would post today to ask for some vibes for my baby. Daisy stopped eating on Wednesday and went off to the vets for the usual meds - metaclop, metacam, vetergesic. She also had subcut fluids.

I syringe fed her on Wednesday evening and got her to eat a very small amount of fresh herbs and dried raspberry leaves, and we had a couple of poos by morning so I hoped she was getting better. By mid-afternoon she was stamping, grinding her teeth and snorting :( Back to vets for more meds and he took xrays to send over to FHB for advice.

It was decided to refer her over to FHB's surgery (who unfortunately is away, but she's under care of Ruth), so OH set off at 5.30am this morning with both bunnies. She's been admitted as we expected and I've been asked to call at 3pm for an update.

It's so very worrying.

Last edited:
Oh dear poor Daisy :cry: I've been wondering how she was doing. Hoping she makes a very good recovery now she has been admitted. Lots of vibes xx

:( Poor Daisy Sunshine and poor you guys too. I hope that they can help her out of this bout quickly and with minimal stress to all parties.

Sending loads of vibes. Sorry to hear she's so poorly.

Ruth did Artie's original diagnosis/operation by the way and is a wonderful bunny vet, your bunnehs are in very safe hands.

Last edited:
Everything crossed & every good wish in the world for Daisy.

You've done brilliantly to get her this far, & have a top team behind you.
Thumper says "Come on Daisy pushhhh - it's mind over poop matter gal."

Please keep us updated.

Thank you everyone :)

I've just spoken to Ruth. She's been talking to FHB about Daisy and they are keeping her over the next few days for syringe feeds and xrays to monitor her progress. It's mixed news really and so far we don't have any definite answers, but Daisy has eaten a tiny bit and passed a few poos, which is great.

Ruth said it's one of two possibilities - deterioration/worsening of megacolon, which could indicate (after getting her through this) moving onto daily domperidone to keep the disease in check. Alternatively it's a separate condition, almost certainly exacerbated by the megacolon. Either way she's not in typical stasis as she has a full stomach. The hope is good hydration and lots of wet, syringe feeds will move it on before it becomes a true impaction.

She used the word 'worrying' a lot so obviously I remain very worried, but I'm very pleased Daisy's eaten a little and I'm so grateful my vet arranged for her to go over to Harrogate - god knows how bad she may have got if we'd waited until after the weekend. I know she's in the best hands and will have the best chance of getting over this.

I'll update when I have any more news. Thank you all for the vibes and good wishes.

She sounds like she is having excellent care. Hopefully, whilst a stressfl time, knowing she is somewhere good will offer some sort of comfort for you guys.

Back