• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay

mreeyore

Warren Scout
robbie wont eat much hay, i have chaqnged his hay to p@h woodland land harverst, to see if i can tempt him any ideas

In my experience woodland harvest doesn't go down well with bunnies. Do you have access to a farm where you could maybe get a large hay bale from or alternatively dust free hay used to go down a treat with mine if you can afford it.

I'd try cutting down on their pellets slowly which will hopefully increase the hay uptake.

Dust free hay has lots of nommy hays as well :)

Meadow hay tends to be a favourite. Biscuit eats this like its going out of fashion.

How much veg and how many pellets does he get each day mreeyore?

he seems to be eating the leaves from the hay. he doesnt like the marigold flowers. may he has too many pellets that why he has no room for hay? at the mo he is still growing, he's thirteen weeks old now. he loves brocoli but doesnt seem keen on carrot or cabbage. may try some fresh herbs,

he seems to be eating the leaves from the hay. he doesnt like the marigold flowers. may he has too many pellets that why he has no room for hay? at the mo he is still growing, he's thirteen weeks old now. he loves brocoli but doesnt seem keen on carrot or cabbage. may try some fresh herbs,

So in answer to my question, how many pellets does he get per day mreeyore? :)

Meadow hay tends to be a favourite. Biscuit eats this like its going out of fashion.

How much veg and how many pellets does he get each day mreeyore?

he gets a egg cup full on a morning and half egg cup on a nite. a bit ov brocoli . have tried carrot, he wasnt keen, it was only a tiny piece. he not keen on savoy cabbage. maybe try some parsley. am trying to introduce veg slowly cause he only just started having it.maybe i have a bunny that is a fussy eater

Does he go on grass during the day? If so, he is probably eating this instead of hay which is fine as it's the same chewing action which helps keep their teeth down.

You could try the sample pack from The Hay Experts. I have to say that Spenser shows a distinct preference for eating what is technically 'bedding' hay. :roll:

Does he go on grass during the day? If so, he is probably eating this instead of hay which is fine as it's the same chewing action which helps keep their teeth down.

because robbie is indoor bun and we have a paved garden he doesnt have grass. but me dad made me two seed trays full ov grass for eeeyore, they are still growing well. maybe i cud bring them in for robbie to try, but cause he just starting on veg limit how much he eats

I don't think his pellets sound overly excessive - at that age Alfie was only getting an eggcup full but some people like to give more than that to younger buns while they're still growing.

How do you know that he isn't eating much hay? From watching him or from his poo output? Alfie and Bubbles sometimes seem like they're not eating much hay but I must just observe them at the wrong times, because they have lovely big crumbly poos.

If you have a farm shop or horsey place nearby, you should see if you can get some hay from there - either a bale if you have room, or a bag. Mine love the cheap stuff. :D Otherwise, try the Hay Experts sample pack, as Susie said, which will save you the expense of buying a huge bag of something only to find he doesn't like it.

Unfortunately, all buns seem to like different things, so it can be a case of trial and error. :)

Hope he likes his grass tubs. :wave: The sample pack I mentioned includes readigrass, which is popular with some bunnies. I just give a sprinkling a day, rather than using it as a main hay.

Mine like timothy hay from Willow Warren, you can get a sample from there too, but it is expensive to order in, unless you buy in bulk, but then you have to have room to store the big boxes! But this isnt a problem for us.

You could also try stuffing hay in to the toilet roll cardboard tube inners, as this makes into a bit of a game and he can eat at the same time. Just a thought.

Back