• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you keep your buns indoors if they get poorly?

Do you keep your buns indoors if they get poorly?

• Yes

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I have brought one of my males in and i'm keeping him indoors after his neutering op and his dental. I'm also going to do this with blaze when he gets back from the vets on monday.

Do you keep your buns indoors if they are poorly- or do you leave them outside if they are outdoor buns.

Please discuss.

Thanks xxx

I put sometimes- if i feel the bun will do better indoors , i bring them in. I find some buns prefer outdoor and some don't seem to like it at all. Abit like us i suppose.

Last edited:
depends on the condition but mostly i bring them in i have them in my bedroom where its quiet, and night checks are easy as im a light sleeper

depends on the condition but mostly i bring them in i have them in my bedroom where its quiet, and night checks are easy as im a light sleeper

I'm finding it easier to check on blazes condition with him being next to me throughout the day.

I sleep on the sofa in the livingroom near my buns when they are ill generally :)

Mine get stressed out when you change their environment so I wouldn't bring them in unless it was very serious like pneumonia

Generally yes, if appropriate, but otften in the spare room with the door closed and the windows wide open so its warmer than normal, but not too warm.

Mine get stressed out when you change their environment so I wouldn't bring them in unless it was very serious like pneumonia

Agree

Every bun is different but on the whole we don't bring them in unless their condition indicates that they need to be. A change of environment in my experience can set a rabbit back rather than benefit the nursing care.

I would rather make the rabbit as comfortable as possible in their own space and keep an eye on them, even if it means not going to bed.

Most times. Depends on the level of illness. When Leo was critically in he was inside for nearly two months but when he had a reaction to his Cylap we kept him outside.

Blanche was moved in after her spay but that's really, touch wood, the only times they've been ill. :)

Agree

Every bun is different but on the whole we don't bring them in unless their condition indicates that they need to be. A change of environment in my experience can set a rabbit back rather than benefit the nursing care.

I would rather make the rabbit as comfortable as possible in their own space and keep an eye on them, even if it means not going to bed.

I agree with this totally :D

Twinkle and Star get stressed in a different environment too, especially coming indoors - so I tend to leave them in their shed for as long as I can. However in the spring when Star had the onset of stasis I brought her indoors to keep an eye on her - this then becomes a catch 22 as the stress makes her less likely to eat or poo, but at least she is warm and I can keep an eye...I'd rather leave her outside if I can.

I thought they had to be indoors for 24 hrs after a spay/neuter anyway?
sue:wave:

It they have had a GA for any procedure they need to be kept indoors for 24 hours as they are unable to regulate their temperature during that time.

But if it is a general illness then I try where possible to keep buns in their own environment with their partner to minimise stress :)

It depends!

I try to keep them in their normal homes as that's where I know they'll be happiest. Summer time, if I've had a bun at the vets for a GA, providing they're acting alright, I won't keep them inside over night. I'll put them back in their house. It's probably warmer outside during a summer night than it is inside here anyway.

If a bun had a GA during colder months, I'd keep them in overnight. Or if they had an illness that was affected by hot/cold tempratures I'd bring them in so I could keep them at a comfortable temprature. If it was something that wasn't effected by temprature, but does require regular monitering then I'd still keep them outside and I'd just make sure I got off my backside to check them more often. :lol:

With illnesses such as stasis I do bring them in, because poorly bunnies can find it difficult to regulate their body temperature and hypothermia can set in very quickly.
The difficulty for me is knowing when it's safe for them to stay out again. I tend to 'harden them off' like bedding plants: e.g outside for them warmest part of the day with a snugglesafe if they need it, rather than shoving them straight back outside on a cold night. It's especially difficult in winter- you don't want them to be in so long they start to lose their Winter coat, for instance.
None of mine seem to mind being indoors much (I think some of them would love to be houserabbits actually!) I always bring in bonded pals too xx

i always used to bring my buns in the front room when they were ill as im too paranoid to leave them outside and its easier to monitor them indoors. Mine never had a prob with a change of enviroment when they had free range time they ended up indoors anyway!! and that where they have stayed!! ;)

Mine would get too stressed at the change of environment. I would bring them in if they were very poorly, but would try not to unless absolutely necessary.
When Ruby broke her leg, for example, we brought her into the garage then, but she was so desperately unhappy!
The vet suggested that I bring Daisy-Boo inside because of suspected EC, but she saw the look on my face and said it was up to me! I've left DB outside with her Pippin and she's much better off out there. In fact she's displaying no symptoms of EC at all.

Back