• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

9 weekold rabbit sick

shakiraminilop

Warren Scout
Hey im new to the forum I have a 9 week old mini lop called shakira I have had her 2 weeks this tue and iv had to take her to the vets twice already. when i first saw her she had a red patch on her neck. the breeder told me its where her fur has not grown.

She continued to scratch and so i took her to the vet they gave her flea mite stuff.

then for the past 4 days she has nasty poo not diarrhoea but very soft so took her to the vets and they have given me bio lapis hope it works.

but the vet told me she is underweight and i mentioned she was the run will she have problems for ever?

please help
57927_430236416913_508081913_5151908_1752811_n.jpg

Hi welcome to the forum :wave:

Whats her diet like? Ie what kind of food, how much, is she a good hay eater etc xxx

I use timothy hay and pellets which the breeder gave me for changeover food. I feed her half of a very small bowl i have and she can have as much hay as she wants but she was the smallest when i got her x

I use timothy hay and pellets which the breeder gave me for changeover food. I feed her half of a very small bowl i have and she can have as much hay as she wants but she was the smallest when i got her x

Does she have a 'pot belly' ?

Does she drink a lot of water ?

Have you fed her any Veg/Fruit ?

what is a pot belly? and no veg or fruit she is to young to have that at mo. she has plenty of water drinks alot.

she has recently been chewing on paper??xx

Pot belly- any distension/ tenderness/ extension to her abdomon.

Jacks Jane tends to ask a lot of questions as that helps her to make some good suggestions. Young buns can face some tough obstacles in their first few weeks of life but with good care and the right diet they can thrive after an initial scare.

Well done for thinking to take your little bun to a vet. :thumb:

Do you know which variety of rabbit food you were given for your bun? eg Burgess pellets/ meusli; Science Supreme, Russel rabbit and so on Some rabbits do better on one type and badly on another.

Im not realli sure if she has a pot belly perhaps she has a lil bulge.

not sure what food the breeder put in im afraid :(

breeder has offered to have her back but im rather attached

:love::love: she looks just like my pooh bear!!:lol::lol::love:
pooh died about a year ago aged 7 yo ...:love:
sorry:oops: off track... hope she is feeling better...i find that lots of plain old hay help with tummy upsets.. it also might just be stress?

Sounds like her diet is ok, although if its the muesli type foodshes having it might be worth switching her to pellets. Is she a good hay eater?

Poor little thing, shes so sweet :( Stick with her, baby buns are SO fragile and she'll need your constant love and care to get her through. My timmy was the runt of his litter, he was teeeny! He still is but is (touch wood!) a healthy bun. Just because she was the runt doesnt mean she'll have probs forever, she just needs nursing through this stressful time, leaving her mum and moving to a new home :)

Get her to a bunny savvy vet for a thorough check up anyway :wave:

Back