• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

GIANT rabbit care?

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
is caring for a giant rabbit different from a normal rabbit? i know they need a giant enclosure or the run of a room. and they need more food. other than that is there a difference

Apart from everything having to be much bigger than for a standard sized pair of buns (housing, litter trays,water bowls etc), and it costing much more in feed costs, giants are exactly the same as any other bun, but generally tend to be a lot more docile.

My pair of contis are 4yrs old now, so I have redesigned their accommodation to reduce the height of the jumps they do to get to the different levels in their shed to reduce any possible back or leg injuries,as they can suffer from joint problems as they age.

And if you let them in the garden you need to make sure that if you have any plants you like, they are kept 4ft up, or higher, and the bases of trees are well protected.
I swear my pair are like beavers:lol:

Except space and food intake, there isn't much of a difference, they're still rabbits just bigger. It annoys me how pets at home seem to advertise giant rabbits as a seperate species :lol:

ah yes but arent giants as hyper and skitty like a normal sized bun?

from my experience i know frenchies are lazy devils...snooze machines:lol:

My frenchie is a big lazy lump too.

My contis are generally laid back, but Ra still has his teenage moments of madness.

We have a few giants in the sanctuary that are really fiesty little blighters.
Mercury will bite your feet and not let go,and even if you get away he'll launch himself time and time again.
Neptune (only 15 weeks) has bitten a few people already and doesn't like any hand approaching him.

Not in my experience! Thistle's pretty much always asleep or eating. Even when I let him out to free-range, he doesn't really run anywhere. He'll do the occasional on the spot binky but they seem to really take him by surprise and he always looks a bit shocked afterwards! :lol:

I love my giants. But be warned. Be prepared for bigger food bills, bigger housing and the worst being bigger vet bills. Noisette's medication is 4 times more than for an average sized bunny.

Giants are prone to health related illnesses especially as they are on the 'extreme' end of bunny breeds. My Oscar bun today has just been diagnosed with arthritis and he is only 3 :( They also have a lower life expectancy compared to other breeds.

Putting the cons aside, they are a captivating breed and are just so lovely. :love:

aww poor thing.

yes i lost willow my frenchie doe just before her second birthday...she was almost as big as a giant..the biggest frenchie ive ever seen:shock:

after watching our cat die with heart probs in front of us..i now realise thats what happened to her..not an embolism.:cry:

berties a small frenchie...hes had more than his fair share of health probs.....but hes almost 6 and a half.......age expectancy for them is 3-5 years:(
they too are prone to arthritis..heart probs.....etc

Back