• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

insurance after bloat/stasis

weedug

Mama Doe
I'm wanting to take insurance for Floppy from PetPlan, but he's just getting over bloat. Anyone know if that means they will never cover the costs if he gets it again?

Obviously I will phone them when I apply, but just wondered.

They don't normally cover anything that is pre-existing so possibly not, best thing is to give them a ring and check. You never know they may cover it but increase your premium or something? Worth a try. :wave:

I'm wanting to take insurance for Floppy from PetPlan, but he's just getting over bloat. Anyone know if that means they will never cover the costs if he gets it again?

Obviously I will phone them when I apply, but just wondered.

I'm not 100% sure but I *think* they told me that Rudy, who has had several bloat episodes would be covered if he didn't have any vet treatment due to bloat for a certain amount of time ?12/18 months possibly. I had forgotten about this but I'm pretty sure he can regain cover at some point.

We are not with petplan but Blackberry had stasis last december post spay and she has been excluded for a year and if she is ok this year then they will lift the exclusion (lots of finger crossing!!)

Just off the phone from a very long talk with PetPlan :roll:, mainly cause Floppy has a lot of health problems :(.

They won't cover any GI problems for a year, and then if he has had no tummy issues they will lift the exclusion.

Well PetPlan told us after a long conversation on the phone that they would NEVER cover anything GI related for Nino - and an exclusion has been put on his insurance - they never said anything about ever lifting it!

Quite cross really as his bloat we discovered was caused all along by arthritis, but at the time we didn't know and the claim was rejected. I haven't had the energy to fight them for the recent Xrays and arthritis diagnosis and vet bills. Sounds to me like they vary their policy depending on who they are speaking to on the phone.... think I might have to have a word after all!

I spoke to some chief guy who wouldn't let me get a word in, so I ended up getting rather cross :oops:.

I kept stressing that Floppy's bloat was thought to be because of his mite treatment, so they put a 3 month exclusion on ear problems although I kept telling them that it wasn't ear mites :roll:. Then there's the 12 month exclusion for any GI problem, and a permanent exclusion for his dislocated knee.

You should phone. Does Nino still get bloat a lot, or could he go 12 months without?

I spoke to some chief guy who wouldn't let me get a word in, so I ended up getting rather cross :oops:.

I kept stressing that Floppy's bloat was thought to be because of his mite treatment, so they put a 3 month exclusion on ear problems although I kept telling them that it wasn't ear mites :roll:. Then there's the 12 month exclusion for any GI problem, and a permanent exclusion for his dislocated knee.

You should phone. Does Nino still get bloat a lot, or could he go 12 months without?

I spoke to someone who went off to speak to someone higher up. I know quite a lot about rabbit medicine and really fought my corner but to no avail. I got very cross actually and told them I was considering cancelling my policy if they never cover anything - as bloat/stasis can result from ANYTHING.

At the time Nino was getting bloat recurrently almost every weekend, the problem for us was the policy was taken out after a recent episode that they found out about - existing condition! Although I would argue that the two episodes were unrelated - at the time - now i know they were not but still not due to uncomplicated bloat and stasis but his arthritis. It was also partly because the vet who filled in the form was not our reg vet but a new vet who basically didn't paint the right picture in order to get the insurance to cover it.... our vet might have worded things differently. I was a bit cross about that too. Since his diagnosis he has gone 6 months without bloat now. It was caused by an undiagnosed condition that was pre-exisiting but undiagnosed and therefore should have been covered. I got very frustrated with them though and haven't bothered to fight it since. We can afford the bills anyway, it's just annoying as have spent thousands of pounds on Nino this year and could have done with a bit back from the policy we are paying into. :roll:

Sounds like you've had a raw deal with them :roll:.

I was just annoyed that they insisted that it was ear mites Floppy had, and not other mites.

I thought they would put an exclusion on it since it was a pre-existing condition, so I suppose I shouldn't moan at a year's exclusion.

Poor Nino sounds like he has a tough time of it.

Had no luck myself with PP. I wanted to insure Basil (he had E.Cuniculi at 8 weeks) The policy came through with so many exclusions (permanent):? that I decided there would be little point in insuring him with them. Have now got acceptable Insurance through another company.

Back