• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rio Julian - Another Vaccinated Bun Diagnosed with Myxi

PomandRi

Alpha Buck
Rio Jules has been diagnosed as having myxi.

He developed a swollen eye on Saturday. My first thought was that it might be myxi despite him being vaccinated but we checked him over for other symptoms and as there was nothing we decided to leave it. By the end of the day it was looking better and by Monday it seemed as though it was going to heal on its own. I'd actually concluded that he must have poked himself in the eye with something.

However, I then saw Parsnipbun's thread about Hawthorn having myxi. We live across Cambridge from Parsnipbun and our buns go to the same vet. It also transpired that Rio and Hawthorn were vaccinated against myxi around the same time and with vaccines from the same batch number. Although Rio's eye had gone down completely by this time, it seemed sensible to get him to the vet to have him checked over.

Much against his better judgement, he's now been to the vet. Between making the appointment and getting him there, a lump has come up on his nose, he's become a bit lethargic and his appetite has been affected although he doesn't have any other symptoms. He's on abx but it does look as though the vaccine and his immune system are kicking in and he's not as unwell as poor Hawthorn.

So, just to reinforce Parsnipbun's message that myxi is out there and it is affecting vaccinated buns. Please be vigilant - this strain seems to start with swelling around the eyes and goes from there.

The thing that really breaks my heart is that we have a colony of wild buns not far from us. Just the other day I was watching them all - including kits - gamboling happily in the early morning sun. I can't see how they're not going to be affected if myxi is so prevalent in Cambridge. :cry:

Very sorry to learn that Rio has myxi. I hope it is only a mild case and that he can soon fight it off.

Very strange that they both had a vaccine from the same batch though.

I am sad for the wild bunnies :(

What a nightmare. Poor you guys and poor Rio. I'm so glad that he is in your vigilant care.

I hope Rio fully recovers soon, poor little thing. It really is a worry isn't it these cases of vaccinated buns getting Myxi? Lets hope the wildies escape it :(

Sorry to hear this.

Is there any chance that batch of the vaccine had a fault with it seeing as you both had the same one?

So sorry to hear about Rio Jules :cry:

Tons of vibes from me and my buns for a speedy recovery and lots of strength for you to get him through this, it must be such a worry. Thinking of you x

Sorry to hear this.

Is there any chance that batch of the vaccine had a fault with it seeing as you both had the same one?

The vet thinks it's just a coincidence that both buns were vaccinated with a vaccine from the same batch number. However, both cases have been reported to the company that made the vaccine and the fact that both vaccines were from the same batch number has been highlighted.

The vaccine does appear to be working to some extent as both buns seem to be fighting the myxi quite well which suggests that they have a strain of myxi which was not completely covered by the vaccine rather than that it was faulty.

I did ask whether my other bun should be re-vaccinated as she probably had a vaccine from the same batch number as well but the vet thought that this was unnecessary.

it seems to be this time of year that vax buns are getting it the most conisidence ???

all buns get it worse this time of year - wildies and domestic buns - its to do with the cycle of mosquito activity (the carriers in many cases) - cooler nights cause them to be more active.

I also queiried whether I should re-vaccinate my other buns in case of faulty batch and will discuss with vets tomorrow when take Hawthorn in again.

I'm so sorry
although i would like to point out that even vaccinated buns can contract myxomatosis its not a preventor it just means that infected buns will not be infected so badly

I'm so sorry to read this. I'm really hoping that Rio will be able to fight it successfully and that it's just a mild case.

Thinking of you and sending vibes. x

Back