• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stand Alone water bottle? Update post 16 - tried a bowl last night, it worked!!!

Hey!

I wondered if anyone has ever come across a stand alone water bottle?

Basically my buns are inside...they have a pen, but it's only purpose is for attaching the hay basket and water bottle to it - the door is always open and they get free range of the dining room and kitchen.

Ideally I would like to remove the pen - I have just ordered a stand alone hay rack (from Willow Warren [i think] - it was one someone suggested on an earlier thread and it looks awesome so thank you whoever that was!) and wondered if anyone had seen such a thing as a stand alone water bottle (or some kind of a fixing to fix the bottle to the wall?)?? Obviously an obvious solution would be a water bowl of course but I would prefer to avoid that if there are alternatives....

Thanks!

:wave:

Last edited:
I have no idea about a stand alone water bottle sorry.
I just wondered though if your bunnies will still have a place to 'hide' and that is a place that is just 'theirs' for if they need to feel safe?
I am sure you do, but this is why I keep a base for Starbuck, as when he is in there, that is his space only and he also has a few other places to hide and feel safe :wave::)

didnt want to read and run, so posting...

Some buns find it easier to drink from a water bowl, so you could do that anyway, i've never seen a standalone bottle, but have seen some people screw a piece of wood to the wall, then mount the bottle over it with a piece cut through if you know what i mean.

Is there any reason why you want to avoid a bowl? All my bunnies seem to prefer a water bowl.

I suppose it depends in whether you think your guys would be likely to knock it over a lot! :lol:

I'd never seen the willow warren website before, is it the advanced roundfeeder you've ordered? I love the description that goes with it about the little ******* throwing things around lol, it does look fab but mine would eat that within 24 hours so will be sticking to my 99p Ikea microwave plate cover that doubles as an (as yet) indestructible bunny hay bowl!

I'd be wary about getting rid of the pen too, I did that with Joe before we got Jess, he had a wooden hutch indoors from when he had his own room but when we moved and he was in the kitchen, I got him a (permanently open) ferplast cage and to say he was distraught about his hutch going was an understatement, i felt terrible and if it hadn't have been for the fact it was in pieces in the garden i'd have bought it back in.

I like the idea of the pet fountain.:) The buns would have grass too - though I guess it wouldn't last long!!

I notice it says cat grass-is this different from ordinary grass for rabbits?

I guess you could plant ordinary grass seeeds in there though?.

(It works out at just over 10 quid includding shipping to UK.)

sue:wave:

I like the idea of the pet fountain.:) The buns would have grass too - though I guess it wouldn't last long!!

I notice it says cat grass-is this different from ordinary grass for rabbits?

I guess you could plant ordinary grass seeeds in there though?.

(It works out at just over 10 quid includding shipping to UK.)

They come in pod packs its a blend of Wheat, Oat, Barley and Rye grass I think so should be bunny safe
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...&ndsp=21&tbs=isch:1&ei=dz2bTOP_GZHQjAfPndHOCQ

Oh I see- I was looking at the the aqua garden grass attachment _ I didn't realise the fountain was separate and another 26 quid. Hmm thats a bit much for me. Also you have to buy replacement parts and seems fiddly to clean.
But thanks for the info.

No problem ;) gives you a few ideas though, you can get cheaper ones that you put and upside down water bottle in but it would probably get tipped :lol:

Wow, I pop out for lunch and there's a whole host of replies, yay!

Helgalush - yup, they have lots of places to hide in, but thanks for checking! Lots of bits and bobs hiding under our dining room table...their carrier which I always leave out, various cardboard boxes with different sized holes for them (did you see that amazing maze type thing that Hay Experts have now - my buns wouldnt fit those holes but would love to make them their own version from all our cardboard boxes - taping them all together etc, but havent got around to it yet!), but mostly they either sit on the dining room chairs (cheeky things!) or chilling out on the rug.

Everyone that mentioned water bowls - I dont think theres anything morally wrong with them or anything like that, but I am 99% certain that my Frenchies would just hurl the bowl around the room and it would spill everywhere! They have those heavy mason food bowls as it is and seem to use them as toys to fling about! Maybe I should try the bowls sometime though (if I can find one made of lead!), i mean you never know right!? (**remembers to put her wellies next to the front door the day she tries that**)

Jubob - LOVE that drinking fountain type thing! Shame it comes in at quite a lot of money for all the different pieces. Totally cool though!

Paulinejoe - Yes, thats the one - the advanced round feeder - looks fab :D I had never heard of the website either but I love it. Im hoping my buns wont chew it to pieces, they have lots of chewy toys that they dont bother with - they much prefer shredding newspapers with their claws!

GrahamL - I think a do-it-yourself fixing like you describe is exactly what I'll end up doing - just would ahve preferred not to if there's something I can buy :D

TAHNKS EVERYONE!!!:wave:

I've got these, spent ages looking for one when I got Sooty, If the heights not right for yor buns when it comes you can easily hook the bottle onto anything, I've got one hooked onto a piece of laminate floor that I cut and shaped (I think it looks nicer in my living room) Oh and I found the nozzle looked a bit big for my Sooty's tiny mouth but it can be swapped for one off a bunny bottle.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Water-Bottle-Feeder-Food-Stand-Pet-Dog-Cat-Animal-D20-/220672627641?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item33611d13b9

Last edited:
charl86 - you are WONDERFUL! That is exacly the kind of thing I was after! Can't quite think how much 500ml is at the moment...I will go home and have a look at what they have each day currently, and fingers crossed the one on ebay will be big enough (Gulliver and Cinnamon drink a huge amount!)...

Thank you again!

I've also seen someone use one of those bottle holders designed for clipping onto bicycles :) You can attach that to a suitable surface and slide the water bottle into it. I think the big danger of a completely stand alone one is that it would be pretty easy to knock over and then the buns would be without water all night or whatever time period it was before someone found it.

I got home last night and decided to put a bowl of water out for the buns, just as a tester. To my utter and complete amazement it wasn't all over the floor when I got up this morning! I really can't believe it - I thought they would have been flinging the bowl around the room in no time!

The didnt actually drink from it though because their water bottle is still up of course, but maybe I will start the transfer to bowls after all. Am so chuffed!

Question though...you know how on a Sunday when you're relaxing in the bath with a book for a good hour or so (!!?) and you go all wrinkly...well dont bun's chins going all wrinkly from drinking all the time? I mean I guess not because otherwise people wouldn't use them if they had any 'side-effects' but it surprises me that they dont get sore skin or anything??

:wave:

Back