• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rear guard in the winter or not?

andy5898

Warren Scout
Since I got my adopted little lad in April I have had him rear guarded, the same goes for his new wife who arrived in July. They have been completley up to date with it throughout the summer.

So I just wondered as winter is coming and flies are dieing away do they still need the same level of rearguard every 12 weeks? I was just about to book them in with the vet nurse to have it done, then wondered if I was being unfair on them if they didn't need it done. So before I book them in what do people think?

Cheers

I have never used rearguard on any of my animals as I disagree with applying chemicals to them. I would only ever treat animals who would be classed as high risk. If I had any buns with dirty or wet bottoms or a wound I would ensure that the problem was treated and removed.

If they are kept in clean cages and they are checked at least twice a day to ensure that they are clean / dry and have no wounds they are not at high risk.

Usually rabbits with dirty or wet bottoms if dealt with correctly can easily be sorted and become clean and dry through correct management.

:wave: I dont use RearGuard either, I think if you keep litter trays clean, you should not get any flies. Also checking their bums everyday.

The fact is a healthy rabbit on the correct diet should not have ANY soft poo's. The larva, AFAIK, eat the soft poos stuck to buns rear, and when they have eaten all of that they move onto buns flesh.

Plus on the instructions to rear guard, it says not to eat a rabbit treated with rear guard for a certain length of time after. The once I did use it a watched as Feegal licked it all off:shock: Why put something on my rabbits that a person cant ingest?

Don't know if this essay helps your question sorry:oops:

I don't use it either but if you did want to would it not be less stressful to treat them yourself at home?

Back