• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppy's eye...

melaniejb

Mama Doe
I'm a bit worried about Poppy's eye...

I noticed that it looked a bit odd the other day but then the next day it was fine, then I noticed last night it was looking a bit funny but back to normal today. Now this evening it's happened again.

There's no discharge below the eye but the top of it does look a bit wet. She's not squinting, if anything her eye is more open wide (although not bulging...). She doesn't seem bothered about it and it's mainly that you can see more rim of her eye than anything else.

When you look into her eye balls, the left one is normal but her right one does appear to have a slightly cloudy appearance on the top.

Obviously we'll take her to the vets (although we won't be able to take her to our normal rabbit guru vet until next weekend) but does anyone have any ideas of what it might be???? I'm getting quite scared.

Bad picture but trying not to use the flash and capture it on all of her...
IMG_0743.jpg

Close up
IMG_0748.jpg

And this is the normal side - excuse the very annoyed Poppy!
IMG_0749.jpg

Last edited:
Her eye is completely normal now. I had to look at the photos to work out which eye was the one with a problem this morning.

Do you think it could be an allergy? And would it be worth waiting until next week when I can see my rabbit savvy vet as opposed to taking her to medivet??? She's not in any obvious pain and as I said - it's COMPLETELY normal now!!! Aghhhhhhhh!

My Poppy's eye went like that the other day - I've just brought her back from the vets this morning and he said she had slight ulceration to her eye - Poppy has a cloudy semi-circle around the top of her eye. He's given me some Exocin eye drops that I have to give her every 6 hours and take her back for a check up next week. To start her eye was runny, half closed and had some white gunk inside it. Hope your Poppy gets better soon :wave:

So many different things can present with eye symptoms. I think if you are still concerned it would be worth getting it checked out, it may not necessarily need a rabbit savy vet for an initial exam and to rule out obvious causes. I hope her eye feels better soon x

Thanks for the replies guys! Annoyingly we couldn't get an appointment for tonight so have got one for Saturday with a totally new vet! Eeeek! Plus we're going to the midlands next weekend so if I'm still worried about it I'll take her to see the rabbit savvy vet. :?

Fingers crossed for us! Luckily she doesn't appear to be in any pain and is not squinting at all.

She's going to the vets in half an hour but the eye is back to normal and has been since Thursday...very odd but I guess it's best to have it checked out, although we are using a new vets... :?

The vet couldn't see anything wrong with her! We've got some eye drops for her just in case but apparently she's very healthy! Hurrah!

He did say (in a very strong Polish accent) "I thought she was fat but she was just very fluffy!", which did make me laugh!

Back