• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have you had a bun have a bad reaction to the mixo vacs

Have you had a bun have a bad reaction to the myxomatosis vaccination?

• Total voters
Nope, and I currently have 15 vaccinated bunnies here and in addition to those 15 have had probably another 10-15 additional rabbits vaccinated over previous years.

We had most problems with the VHD vaccine the first time some had it.

If I could press the 'no' button over an estimated 200 times, one for each time I have had a bun vaccinated over the years, I would do so.

Nope, 10 bunnies over the past few years, vaccinated twice yearly, no problems at all.

I agree, the VHD vacs is more problematic, but the virus is so awful I think Lapinject and sometimes Cylap are still essential, if the rabbit is well enough.

The reason I am so passionate about this is because I lost a rabbit to myxomatosis when I was younger. I will never have a healthy rabbit unvaccinated ever again.

I have voted Yes. See Tippex Porkychicken's thread. I still firmly believe that vaccinating is the right thing to do, so long as the vet feels the bunny in question is well enough to be vaccinated. Although reactions when they do occur are very upsetting, I would far rather attempt to nurse a bunny through a vaccine reaction than attempt to nurse an un-vaccinated rabbit through myxomatosis.
I almost didn't post a thread about Tippex's reaction, because I would hate to put even one person off vaccinating their rabbit- my poorly girl deserved the RU vibes though xx

I have voted Yes. See Tippex Porkychicken's thread. I still firmly believe that vaccinating is the right thing to do, so long as the vet feels the bunny in question is well enough to be vaccinated. Although reactions when they do occur are very upsetting, I would far rather attempt to nurse a bunny through a vaccine reaction than attempt to nurse an un-vaccinated rabbit through myxomatosis.
I almost didn't post a thread about Tippex's reaction, because I would hate to put even one person off vaccinating their rabbit- my poorly girl deserved the RU vibes though xx

Oh bless her she is so beautiful:love: How is she feeling now? I haven't seen your thread, for a minute I thought you may be a breeder:oops:

Tons of vibes coming your and her way:love:

I've never had a problem (although feel I may be tempting fate by saying that). I do sometimes find a scab forms on the injection site occasionally - Furby had one after his recent myxi jab.

I never used to have my buns vaccinated (through ignorance) and all the five I had at the time caught myxi. It was awful watching them suffer and knowing it was my fault. They did get through it, although two died later on, possibly because they had been weakened by the myxi.

Since then I have always had my buns done every six months. I may not get Sue done in October as she is so poorly but will discuss it with my vet. Myxi is such an awful disease and it lasted so long - it just seemed to go on and on. I still feel guilty now for causing my buns unnecessary suffering.

Oh bless her she is so beautiful:love: How is she feeling now? I haven't seen your thread, for a minute I thought you may be a breeder:oops:

Tons of vibes coming your and her way:love:

Thanks. She's still poorly and weak but has just eaten some parsley and a tiny piece of bread (her favourite norty treat) so that's encouraging :)

She was given a health check before the vaccination and seemed perfectly well, as she did on the other two occasions when she became poorly. The first time she became ill she collapsed and was paralysed for 5 days, and the vet thinks it was most probably due to e.cuniculi. It happened 24 hours after her myxi jab though- I suspect the stress of the vaccine was the finally trigger that brought on the e.c. She had been through alot of stresses in a short time- Rescued from poor conditions, rehomed twice, spayed, treated for a severy infestation of mites, introduced to other rabbits then finally the vaccine- a lot for a little bunny to cope with xx

Back