• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I wish I knew what was wrong :(

Terri_louise177

Alpha Buck
I'm so so sorry. I know I'm a massive pain with my threads but I'm literally out of options. I have been in tears for the past hour because I am just the worst bunny mum ever and I don't know what to do to help :cry::cry:

I've mentioned Charlie ailments over and over but nothing is getting better. My vet bills are through the roof but it's just one thing after another with my little baby :cry: I'm wondering whether they are all related somehow. I just wish Charlie was 100% healthy, and he seems happy in himself so I'm just hoping he isn't in pain. Anyway, here are his ailments...

1. He has bouts of stasis every now and then, and had mucussy poo which has been cleared up.

2. He's lost weight, and although it seems stable, he does feel boney.

3. I always saw him as a messy bun, but over the past week I've noticed Charlie is losing fur around his bum, and is always damp. I thought it was because he's started peeing next to his litter tray, but even if he doesn't, he still seems to always be wet recently. Well, now he has urine burn (it doesn't look red, but he is losing a lot of fur, and it isn't growing back).

I bought some tea tree bunny cream to soothe it for now, and I spoke to my vet breifly and he said if it gets worse bring him back in. But I feel like he's in there once every few weeks and we're just going round in circles!! It's also costing us a fortune, even with insurance.

I will do anything for my baby, but I really feel like I'm breaking down :( I just want him to be happy :(

What am I doing wrong :(?

Awww no how stressful for you and Charlie :(
Just a stab in the dark, has your vet done bloods for EC? it has a horrible way of manifesting itself in different ways.
Im sure someone with more knowledge will be on soon. Loads and loads of vibes for him. and you, its horrible having a poorly bun :(
xxx

Awww no how stressful for you and Charlie :(
Just a stab in the dark, has your vet done bloods for EC? it has a horrible way of manifesting itself in different ways.
Im sure someone with more knowledge will be on soon. Loads and loads of vibes for him. and you, its horrible having a poorly bun :(
xxx

I've been desperately searching the internet for ideas and E.C has come up a few times. I get a little confused though, can E.C be treated with Intradine? Or is it panacur? He's had a 9 day run on panacur a few months back, and it currently still on Intradine for Coccidis (sp?). This was just a precaution though, he wasn't diagnosed as definitely having Coccidis. So is E.C still possible? My vet hasn't taken any bloods.... Is that a bad thing? Maybe I should take him back in and ask Jason to thoroughly check him out.

I really do get the feeling all this is connected somehow.... unless he's just one very unlucky bunny :( :( :(

Thank you for your reply :)!!

A 9 day course of Panacur is not enough to treat EC. The course needs to be continued for 28 days.

I assume it is Jason Burgess you are referring to ? If so he is apparently a very Bunny Savvy Vet so I would definitely take Charlie back to see him ASAP.

Yes EC is still a possibility then i think. A 9 day course of panacur is a preventative measure, he would need a 28 day course and all of his toys, bowls and accomodation thoroughly cleaning. Maybe have a chat with your vet about it.
He does sound like a very unlucky boy :(

His diet is:

one 1/2 egg full of Oxbow T pellets in the morning, and the same at night.
And loads and loads of hay (it was a massive struggle to get him to eat hay when we first got him so I'm so happy about that!) and Spring greens, parsley and watercress.

And yes it is Jason. I called him today and I feel really dumb, I call him so often. But he said to keep an eye on it, put vaseline on the area and make an appointment if it doesn't improve. I will do this, but I wish I coul go in aimed with some ideas. Charlie HATES vet visits and I just hate having to take him so often :( I hope he's a happy bun, he seems it but he must hate all this cleaning, vet trips, med taking :(

Sorry to hear your bunny is poorly. It sounds like full blood and urine tests would be a good idea- and maybe even xrays/ultrasound if the vet agrees xx

Back