• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really struggling with syringe feeding

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
I know there have been so many threads on syringe feeding but it is really stressing me out with Starbuck.

Bunny burrito seems to work on Starbuck to an extent, except I feel like it is bordering on 'trancing' him :( and I cant be sure that I am getting in to his mouth - as he either struggles and flinches constantly or he stays still - during the stay still period I try to squirt it in to his mouth, only to find afterwards half of it has gone down his chin, and he wont let me near to wipe it off, so then he licks himself clean but probably in the process ingesting even more fur. What am I doing wrong?

The having between my knees and leaning over does not work at all.

Having him higher up than me doesnt work - he just flinches and lowers his head.

I am just no good at being a bunny mummy today. :cry:

I'm not bunny syringe feeding but i am bunny medicating and its sure a pain in my butt. They always seem to know where to move to avoid it.:roll:
Soldier on we must...:)

I know there have been so many threads on syringe feeding but it is really stressing me out with Starbuck.

Bunny burrito seems to work on Starbuck to an extent, except I feel like it is bordering on 'trancing' him :( and I cant be sure that I am getting in to his mouth - as he either struggles and flinches constantly or he stays still - during the stay still period I try to squirt it in to his mouth, only to find afterwards half of it has gone down his chin, and he wont let me near to wipe it off, so then he licks himself clean but probably in the process ingesting even more fur. What am I doing wrong?

The having between my knees and leaning over does not work at all.

Having him higher up than me doesnt work - he just flinches and lowers his head.

I am just no good at being a bunny mummy today. :cry:

I have the same problem with patch, i just put abit on his feet and he licks it off, until i have the full 0.8ml dispensed. The vet said this is fine as long as he is licking it off.

This is the only way i can do it with him, he creates havoc if i try do it any other way.

Don't know if this method will work for you- worth a try- see how he reacts to it :) xx

I have the same problem with patch, i just put abit on his feet and he licks it off, until i have the full 0.8ml dispensed. The vet said this is fine as long as he is licking it off.

This is the only way i can do it with him, he creates havoc if i try do it any other way.

Don't know if this method will work for you- worth a try- see how he reacts to it :) xx

Thank you, I may try this next. Its less the food and more the fluid I want to get in to him. He is eating hay, and has had some dandelions and parsley, but he hasnt poo'd much and I dont think I have seen him wee or drink at all.

Thank you, I may try this next. Its less the food and more the fluid I want to get in to him. He is eating hay, and has had some dandelions and parsley, but he hasnt poo'd much and I dont think I have seen him wee or drink at all.

Not sure if this would work with fluid, as baytril is less fluid and sticky- that seems to be why it's okay. I've done it with panacur too, which works okay as it's quite solid. Hope you have some luck with fluids. I personally would wrap in a towel turn bunny cradled in a towel and hold tightly, whilst patiently dripping, very very slowly droplets of water onto his lips. It could take ages and i'd wait until each drop is licked off. Problem with this is if bunny refuses to lick his lips, which some of mine do in this position. So then get keeping bunny firmly, try get a more sideways position rather than upside cradled and then dispense slowly.

Hope any of this helps- you may have already tried it. I find firmness when holding essential for my buns that don't like meds and wrapped in a towel is the only way i can do it really.

Good luck x

I tend to syringe stuff whilst kneeling on the floor with 1 hand on their shoulders. I put the syringe in through the side of the mouth too.

Are you using a 1ml syringe with the narrow bit cut off?

If he's happy to eat dandelions, could you soak them in water to get more moisture in him. The trouble is I think dandelions are a duretic so it might cancel it out anyway. How about some herbs, will he eat that or cucumber?

we use a half and half mix of critical care (or whatever) and baby food. I know it means the sugar content is high but it works for us! the vet nurses do it to at our vets!

Or use apple juice (pure juice) rather than water to mix it (again high n natural sugars).

If he's happy to eat dandelions, could you soak them in water to get more moisture in him. The trouble is I think dandelions are a duretic so it might cancel it out anyway. How about some herbs, will he eat that or cucumber?

Oh yes- never thought of the high water content in veg. That's a really good idea Amy :) x

It sounds as if he is eating. Would he eat CC, if it were on a plate. I give it Daisy if I think she hasn't eaten much hay and she will eat it herself off a plate. But she is obviously not an ill bunny refusing to eat, in which case one would have to syringe feed.

Thanks for the advice everyone, some really useful suggestions. Starbuck is eating hay and he has eaten wet dandelions and wet parsley so he has had some food and moisture.

Just had another go with my OH and its still a disaster tho I think we did get a little Recovery in.

It took two of us to get a syringe in Basil's mouth. I had to hold him on my lap and my hubby had to gently insert the syringe into the side of his mouth and dispense it really slowly. Even this didn't always work, but it was our most successful method. He absolutely hated Batril though.

Back