• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats best for his cage?

chul

Staff member
I got my bunny on Sunday and am still learning to be a good owner and was wondering what it best to put on the bottom of his cage? He is an indoor bunny and at the moment he has sawdust which was in our pets at home rabbit bundle. I was thinking once he is litter trained maybe something warm and soft like blankets? Or am I totally wrong?

Hello and welcome!

Yes many people with indoor buns use blanket/fleece/towels or vetbed but of course you need to be sure that bun isn't chewing them - some will, some won't. Others use carpet I believe.

Sawdust/shavings are not to be recommended as they can cause respiratory problems.

Can I ask what size the cage is please as sadly they are often far too small for a bunnys permenant home. Many people with indoor buns convert a large dog crate or make a home with NIC cubes. Why not take a look under housing for some ideas.

Of course the size of the cage will play some part in deciding what to use on the base, ideally an indoor bunny home will be roomy enough to have a couple of litter trays which can be lined with newspaper and hay (hay is the number 1 most important part of a buns diet and they love to munch and poop so this is ideal - you could site a hay rack above a litter tray too), or Megazorb (a paper based litter manufactured for horses) which is very absorbant and odour adsorbing topped with hay. Then you could line the rest of the area with another flooring (Lino, Carpet, fleeces, etc) so it is easy for bun to tell where he should go to the loo.

With litter training it is best to watch where bun chooses to go to the loo then site the litter tray in to which you have place some poops and preferably some wee wetted litter too, the smell will tell them this is the loo.

Is bun a boy or girl? What kind of bun? Is he/she a baby? I'd say we love to see pictures but I'm guilty of being a computer dumbo and don't know how to post them :lol: Where you advised about vaccinations and neutering?

Do have a look around the site perhaps using the search facility at the top - I'm sure you'll love it!

Hi Chul!:wave:

With my own two buns, I put a layer of bedding hay down first then top that with some soft barley straw and then a good sized helping/layer of Timothy hay goes on top of that. They have two hutches, always left open. So they can hop on and out as they please.

I don't like to use sawdust personally, as it can irritate bunnies.

They have a cat basket and blanket outside of the hutches to use, but seem to like our armchairs and sofa!:lol:

Thanks for the info. I am going to get rid of the sawdust in that case. I don't want anything to harm him!! He is beginning to use his litter tray, as I put it where he prefered to go, and put soiled bits in it too.

Back