• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what breed has best temprement?.

there isnt a best breed as such as all have there traits pending on how they are bred

having fostered various breeds ive found it doesnt matter, good care and handling neutering helps a great deal:)

There really isn't one, it depends on the individual rabbit. A breed can have one rabbit which is lovely and demands cuddles whilst another will try and bite your finger off. A rescue is a good place to go as they'll be able to tell you about the individual temperaments of their rabbits :wave:

There really isn't one, it depends on the individual rabbit. A breed can have one rabbit which is lovely and demands cuddles whilst another will try and bite your finger off. A rescue is a good place to go as they'll be able to tell you about the individual temperaments of their rabbits :wave:

pretty much sums it up!

french lop 100%
mini lops are nippy and skitty, dwarf lops are not interested in anything and continential giants are just too big!:D
French lops are clever,friendly,like dogs they come to their names and love being house buns.

french lop 100%
mini lops are nippy and skitty, dwarf lops are not interested in anything and continential giants are just too big!:D
French lops are clever,friendly,like dogs they come to their names and love being house buns.

Mini Lops come to their names too and are perfect house buns also ... :) :wave:

My netherland dwarf is very trainable- she comes to her name more than my other buns. She is also very amicable with people, but very aggressive with other buns. I find this breed dominant with my cats. This could be just her as an individual though.

Some breeds are pre-disposed to having certain attributes, but i'd go on the basis that rabbits are individuals :) x

french lop 100%

Thought I should just add that I have a dwarf lop, and I completly disagree (sorry :oops:) Bart will follow me everywhere, periscope and run along the the side of the run when anyone enters the garden, will leap on my lap for food and attention, so quite interested in most things ;)

I personally think breed is irrelevent for temperment. Each rabbit is different. Like said before I would visit a rescue, they can tell you the temperments of each singular bun :)

There is no particular breed that is friendlier although some traits are common to a certain breed - i.e. Netherland dwarfs being very active.
It depends a lot on whether rabbits are bred for good temperament as opposed to how they look, how well they are used to be handled and if they are neutered/spayed. There are mini lops that are nippy and nervous and some that are friendly and licky.
A good rescue can tell you lots on the personality of a certain individual rabbit, as will a responsible breeder, but these are a minority and it's always best to give a home to a rabbit in need.

I think it's down to the individual rabbit.

I have 1 mini lop who is not too keen on humans
I have a VERY clever rex
I have a daft as a brush harly
I have a lionhead x who is shy but friendly
I have a wildie x who loves a cuddle
and a dwarf lop who atm loves to nip!

All know their name,all come to their name being called and imo are trained as well as my dog is :lol::)

this is MY view on buns.:wave:

You are entitled to it but my experience is that I have a mini lop/holland lop cross (in Germany they are apparently considered two different breeds) and he's just lovely, loves a fuss and gives a lot of kisses. On the other hand his wifebun is a probable nethie/something (Dutch?) cross and she's nervous and tends to run and box and doesn't like much cuddles. But I know there are a lot of very affectionate nethies. So I can't say that I would put it down to breed.

Really depends what kind of rabbit you want.

If you want an active bunny or one thats a bit more laid back.

netherland dwarfs tend to be more active and a bit less cuddley.
Mini lops are still quite active but tend to be friendlier than the nethies.
The bigger rabbits such as the giants and french lops seem to be a bit more laid back.

Though obviously these are just generalisations, crosses are quite random.

depend on what you want from a breed
going from breeds i own and have owned
mini lops are great good size for kids easy to handle playful
rexes can be scatty watch out for very sharp claws lol
nethies nice size for kids can be fast but are friendly
contis fantastic all round down sides short life span and they are big
german lops very laid back like to be fussed but too big for kids

i find fur breeds like sables, satins, smokes are very laid back will sit on your knee all day and be fussed
dutch , english, etc tend to prefere to be playing and wont sit stillfor five minutes
as for poles keep away they are nasty little things more of a adults breed rather than a childrens rabbit well the show ones are anyway its in the breed they have to be as people call it spirited :lol: the rew are the worst for it and for a tint rabbit they scare the hell out of me :lol:
cross breed are full of supprises i love them ;)
at the end of the day its also how they are brought up if bred by a good breed who handles them etc most breeds are friendly and soppy in their own way :D
and of course there is always one which goes againt the grain so to speak ;)

mmm it really does depend on the handling whilst young etc....and buns persona

bertie is the very first frenchie i have owner care of. He was over 18months old when i adopted him
At his home he lived in a hutch inside a shed all to himself and roamed the huge garden at his leisure.
the ladys youngest son would go into bies hutch and put his arms aorund him and go to sleep together..his mum jo was always having to dig him out:lol:
bertie was living with five cats and a staffie boxer cross called rosie.

so bertie had personality traits of dogs and cats and had been used to children andgetting cuddled.
when theyre over a year old frenchies become too laid back...they sleep a lot...and they will make you step over them rather than hem running off like the smaller buns usualy do. willow my bridge frenchie grew up as a baby with our two kittens...and she would do the mad dash round the house with them..i had to explain to my neighbour about the noise:lol:

but we had a mini lop who died a few motnhs after my dad..he was a sweet natured little bunny..incredibly outgoing friendly and loved people.

i have had cross breed buns..uppy eared..flopy eared and a bit lionhead....

all as diff as chalk n cheese to each other and breed stereotypes.

just remember like cats buns do not have their adult personlaity traits when under 6 to 12 months...so the cute baby one may become people.shy...snappy from fear...very territorial and aggressive with it.

My rabbits dont really seem to follow a pattern of what there temperments are like, depending on the breed, except my netehrland dwarfs have been my friendliets, most huggable and calm bunnies I have had, and Digit (in sig) has been the one who loves licking me lol

:lol::lol:this thread will prove my first point as people will agree and disagree on breeds,

i myself had a rex and she was evil but very pretty, and alot of people say they are loverly ( have met some loverly ones btw ) also had a white lop with attitude though it was all front, then a harli mini rex so was timid

i have 4 dutchies left now all with completly differant personalities ranging from the rip your arm off to sitting on the sofa to watch telly with you

french lop 100%

eeyore was a mini lop, he was so loving and friendly, always wanted to know wot u were doing, never nippy. robbie is a dwarf lop and into everything. he comes ruunning up to me when i come home from work to give me a cuddle.they both came when you called their names. if you put lots of work into your rabbits, they give you so much more back,

Back