• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your Garden, Who Rules, You or Your Rabbit?

basirascal

Mama Doe
Before we had Basil, our garden was our paradise, nice bit of lawn, greenhouse, table and chairs, patio and decking, pond, nice selection of plants and a veggie growing area. Since Basil came, the tools shed has been turned into a play house for him (only for daytime use because he lives in the house), the Azalea and other lime hatings plants have been dug up and moved to make way for an attached run. The compost bins have been resited. The herbs have been virtually wiped out:shock: My veggie growing area is now dominated with rabbit friendly plants (my choices constantly dominated by 'Can Basil eat it?'). Seed trays are full of weed seeds such as Dandelion. The apple tree has been hacked to provide twigs and leaves and the occasional apple, the rose bushes pruned to the point of baldness to provide lush leaves and petals and the water mint and water cress have been dragged out of the pond. And he's only been with us for 2 months:roll:

I have just spent an absolute bomb having my garden rabbit-proofed, under-meshed & a shed & aviary built taking up over half of it.

So them:roll::lol:

Agree, although my garden is still nice, its not as nice as it was. My hubby says its becoming shed city:lol: I have a shed for my rabbits, playhouse for my guinea pigs and shed/aviary for the Chipmunks. I have also requested a shed for my birthday:roll: as i am hoping to start fostering:lol:

Haven't even started rabbit proofing the whole garden yet. Think we may have to go a bit at a time because he's costing us a small fortune. We have two dogs and I'm sure they never cost us this much in such a short space of time. I am about to go out and plant Garlic now. Not bunny friendly I know but us humans do deserve a few treats, don't we?

The bunnies rule - definitely!! Nearly half of our garden is hutch/run! lol

As I type OH is outside extending the run upwards (aviary style) and revamping the hutch..... bless him he's done it all himself and has spent a fortune in both money and time for them bunnies!

I used to grow loads of herbs, fruit and veggies in pots but now its all clover, dandelions, timothy grass and marigolds ..!! Although next year when I'm a bit more organised I'll be growing bunny friendly veggies too!

As I see it, my house rabbit has to have somewhere where he can be what he is - a rabbit.

He hasn't been unduely destructive. He tends to dig scrapesbetween the plants - I've left him places to do it. Herbs are fenced off. He just has his territorial poop mound near the bottom. I clear it up every couple of days leaving him a token few poops. [Grief I'm on that subject again]

As I see it, my house rabbit has to have somewhere where he can be what he is - a rabbit.

He hasn't been unduely destructive. He tends to dig scrapesbetween the plants - I've left him places to do it. Herbs are fenced off. He just has his territorial poop mound near the bottom. I clear it up every couple of days leaving him a token few poops. [Grief I'm on that subject again]

I am of the same thinking. Basil is a house rabbit and has lots of space indoors to play, however he is a rabbit and rabbits should really be outside I suppose so the fact he has now taken over a large part of the garden is only fair really. Didn't think to fence off the herbs, but I have them everywhere, so this would be pretty difficult anyway. Can't imagine what the garden will look like this time next year:lol:

we're currently saving for fencing around the whole garden (there's only hedges and wire fencing now), in the process of building a shed for the pigs, then we're constructing a few compost heaps and a veggie patch, then the rest of the garden is the bunbun's and the piggies running space. We have no garden for ourselves!! LOL! Just the way we like it. I'm really excited to get the compost heaps and the veggie patch on the go though, keep on looking up what veggies we'll be able to grow for the animals and what are pretty easy to grow too. It'll be hard work, but so worth it to see them salivate over their fresh, home grown, organic veg!

we're currently saving for fencing around the whole garden (there's only hedges and wire fencing now), in the process of building a shed for the pigs, then we're constructing a few compost heaps and a veggie patch, then the rest of the garden is the bunbun's and the piggies running space. We have no garden for ourselves!! LOL! Just the way we like it. I'm really excited to get the compost heaps and the veggie patch on the go though, keep on looking up what veggies we'll be able to grow for the animals and what are pretty easy to grow too. It'll be hard work, but so worth it to see them salivate over their fresh, home grown, organic veg!

Your plans sound great. Love the way you are planning it round the pets::lol: Grow loads of herbs, you can eat them as well............if they leave you any:lol::lol:

Back