• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calming a bun

Coineanach

Wise Old Thumper
Someone is going to the vets. She didn't like it last time, actually she was blooming terrified, what can I do to keep her as calm as possible? I think I remember reading about some kind of herbal drops? Not any good for today but for the future.

I did do a search, but got 7 pages in without finding what I was looking for and decided I'd be better off asking again.

I didnt know you could get rescue remedy for animals :shock: Thats fab, i'll be purchasing some for my lot.

Good luck at the vets, its always such an ordeal for buns :( xxx

Thanks very much Jane.

Yeah, the poor soul gets so stressed about it, I don't know if she's always been like this or if it's just my vet. But she's bleeding everywhere so we don't have much choice :(

Could be good for my buns... but then maybe not, Maia only behaves at the vet's because she's afraid of the place. I could never check her teeth at home without risking a nip. Hmmm.... Stress is not a big problem luckily, because the vet is down our road and the time the rabbits spend in the trip is quite short.

Could be good for my buns... but then maybe not, Maia only behaves at the vet's because she's afraid of the place. I could never check her teeth at home without risking a nip. Hmmm.... Stress is not a big problem luckily, because the vet is down our road and the time the rabbits spend in the trip is quite short.

This is what bothers me though, that she doesn't show normal behaviour. Her reaction to people when she's frightened is to bite them, so for her just to sit there she must've been truly petrified. She took quite a while at home to unwind afterwards.

Unfortunately I don't drive so vet trips are not the comfiest for her.

I'm actually quite lucky. Spenser has become very used to going in his carrier as I had a broken arm this summer and he has been in it daily to travel from hutch to run. I live with my parents, but they have never been able to pick him up. He also has it in the run as a toy if it has been wet and he can't have his cardboard box out. I don't drive either, but live with my parents and they do! Hope all goes well for you.

Anyone know where I can buy the pet version in the UK please? All the sites I can find are American :?

Or am I ok to just use the normal human one?

My bun doesn't like the car but isn't unduely upset by it.
He used to shake in myprevious vets waiting room - smells & lots of predators around. He was so stressed he had red wee when he got home.
He's fine at my current vets where there's no queue, & they use different cleaning materials.

Rescue will help with the journey.

It helped to stay in the car & get the receptionist to call us in at the last min. while the vet was completing the notes.

Bobby is the same, she goes nuts, and she is normally so placid.. its awful seeing her eyes so wide because she is scared:cry:

Carlo is still and really good, but this could be also because he is scared too

My bun doesn't like the car but isn't unduely upset by it.
He used to shake in myprevious vets waiting room - smells & lots of predators around. He was so stressed he had red wee when he got home.
He's fine at my current vets where there's no queue, & they use different cleaning materials.

Rescue will help with the journey.

It helped to stay in the car & get the receptionist to call us in at the last min. while the vet was completing the notes.

I don't know what stressed her out, if it was the journey or the vets itself. She travelled quite a way to get here and it wasn't mentioned that she was stressed so I think it may just have been the smell of the vets. She wasn't happy in the car but I only noticed after we'd been to the vets. We could walk, I don't know which would be better.

Anyone know where I can buy the pet version in the UK please? All the sites I can find are American :?

Or am I ok to just use the normal human one?

Animals are fine with the standard essences as used for humans ie Bach Rescue Remedy. The only time you need to be slightly cautious is if the animal is on any medication that conflicts with alchohol as the essences have a slight amount of brandy in for preservative purposes. :wave:

Animals are fine with the standard essences as used for humans ie Bach Rescue Remedy. The only time you need to be slightly cautious is if the animal is on any medication that conflicts with alchohol as the essences have a slight amount of brandy in for preservative purposes. :wave:

So 4 drops on the tongue!?:D

so 4 drops in some water maybe...:)

So 4 drops on the tongue!?:D

so 4 drops in some water maybe...:)

I said the essences are the same for animal/humans - not the administration! :shock: So yes, put drops in water, on a piece of food or stroked onto the top of the head between the ears.

Back