• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering

babybunny2010

Young Bun
Hi

I was just wondering what the best age to neuter is? My vet said they do it from 3 1/2 months but my rabbit is still fairly small at this age.

I want to get her done ASAP so we can get another rabbit for her to bond with.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

What breed is she? My vet does them from 4 months. Charlee is a nethie so was still quite small at this age, but came through fine. Noah was a little older - about 5 months when he was fixed. He is bigger than Charlee though. Both did brilliantly :)

If it's a 'she' (doe) its whenever she's become hormonal and is a suitable weight i believe.

Others can offer better advice though, just didnt want to read/run.

She is a lionhead. She isnt tiny but you can tell she is still small. I just want to do it ASAP so we can get her a little friend but ovi dont want to put her in any danger.

I am going to be going to a new vet as the one I am with at the mo is rubbish! Couldnt even tell if she was a boy or girl!:shock:

She is a lionhead. She isnt tiny but you can tell she is still small. I just want to do it ASAP so we can get her a little friend but ovi dont want to put her in any danger.

I am going to be going to a new vet as the one I am with at the mo is rubbish! Couldnt even tell if she was a boy or girl!:shock:

You definitely need a new vet! Be sure your vet is confident with doing spays as well - it may also be a good idea to see what their "success" rate is.

I would probably wait till 4 months but it is up to you and your vet. Also keep in mind that she will need some recovery time, and then possibly additional time (up to 6 weeks) for her hormones to settle down. Saying this, Noah went in with Charlee 5 days after he was neutered.

:DThanks for your help! I couldnt believe it when she couldnt tell me what sex she was! I first took her in when she was about 6 weeks old for a check over and the vet said she was to young to tell!! When I went back a couple of weeks ago she thought she was a boy and asked another vet to check and turns out she is a girl!

What will she be like after the op? She is such a sweetie, I dont want her to change!

Thanks all! x

My vet waits until 6 months to spay because it gives them a bit more time to mature.

How old is she now? It sounds like right now her hormones have not developed so she is still a cuddly baby. What she is like after her operation will depend on what her adult personality is like, and also how hormones affect her.

My vet waits until 6 months to spay because it gives them a bit more time to mature.

How old is she now? It sounds like right now her hormones have not developed so she is still a cuddly baby. What she is like after her operation will depend on what her adult personality is like, and also how hormones affect her.

As above my vet waits until 5-6 months. Basil is only 4 months now and still a very cuddly baby. I don't think his hormones have kicked in yet and so I am more than happy to wait until he is more mature. I hope he will not lose his cuddliness after the op. and if your bunny is a sweetie now hopefully she will not change. I imagine Basil will just be a little more mature and a little less clingy, because at the moment he wants to be with me all the time and :love: him as I do, I can't cuddle him all day:), but I definately won't be getting neutered just yet.

Last edited:
Thanks. She is only 3 and a half months. I wouldn't be so fussed on getting her done but I feel sorry for her being on her own.

I think I will wait until she is 5 months then?

neutering age

my 17 week old male, benjamin is going to be neutered tomorrow, i had him checked at the vets on monday and they said he is developed enough to have it done, does anyone think he is too young? Am geting worried now!

my 17 week old male, benjamin is going to be neutered tomorrow, i had him checked at the vets on monday and they said he is developed enough to have it done, does anyone think he is too young? Am geting worried now!

Once the furry teabags are visible, its time :)

My Biscuit was neutered at ~16 weeks also.

neutering

Thank goodness, Benjamins neuter went well, he`s had some parsley and apple, and some water, and done some poops, big sighs :D

Graham L, your boy biscuit looks just like my doe scarlett, i`ll try to post some pics later[ when my daughter comes home cos she knows how to post them!] :D

I have just had Pandora done today.

They are both now in the kitchen relaxing, poor thing she is totaly spaced out.

Feel like a guilty mum :(:(:(

Ive had severalk done at 13-14 weeks and find the younger threy are the better they bounce back.

I hope Benji and Pandora recovery speedily :)

Just thought I would let you know. Went to a differnent vet this evening and in fact I have a boy! I thought it was pretty obvious!!!! X

well i never, whats his name going to be?!:lol: I think this is a good thing because you may be able to get him done earlier, scarlett our doe couldn't be spayed till she was 5 months old and it cost 75.00 benji's cost 46.00! It's a smaller op for a boy, but still as worrying cos of the anaesthetic.

I don't know what to do about the name! I think I might leave it as calling him something else now would be strange (for me!). I just can't believe that a vet cannot tell what sex a rabbit is at 12 weeks! I supose at least I no to change vets now rather than later!

The vet I saw today thinks I should wait a month or so as he is quite small.

In a way I am glad he is a he as I have heard it is easier to bond when a female is brought into a males environment?

Back