• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your buns and the vaccum cleaner- Friend or foe?

Siân_Siâney

Warren Scout
I was worried about scaring the living daylights out of the buns when hoovering, so I gently 'introduced' them to the vaccum cleaner.

I would vaccum a room they weren't in, so that they were aware of the sound of it, and then slowly came closer to the room they were in over a period of days. It got to the point where they would actually come and have a look see at what I was doing and I could skirt around the edges of the room, and they wouldn't be bothered.

I then got to the stage where they would just lay or sit, quietly, as I hoovered right around them, and would sniff the hoover head inquisitively occasionally!:lol:

These days they seem to get all excited, as they run around and have the most amazingly gymnastic binkies. Once the vaccums off, they are all over it sniffing and almost looking as if they want to nudge it back into life!:lol:

In the past I have found that some of my bunnies never got used to the vaccum. The moment they even saw it their body language was clear "Gawd, they've got that contraption out again, i'm off!":shock:

So how do your own buns fair when it's time to do a spot of hoovering?

Thanks!:wave:

Biccy loves the hoover, he comes and grooms it :roll::oops::shock:

When we first had him, we did the same, hoover in another room so he was aware of the noise etc, and he'd run a mile and hide/cower in the corner of his pen under a box :( used to really upset me.

Now, it comes out, he comes up to it and licks it and noses it. Then when we put it on he chases it around the living room as we move with it. It's actually quite sweet! :love:

Mine have yet to meet one:lol:

They will meet a garden vac soon. I just have to

1) find out what one is
2) find out where to buy one
3) find some money
4) buy one
5) use it

:D

Starbuck doesnt mind the hoover - he is quite inquisitive about it. But Starbuck is deaf so he doesnt get scared by the noise.

Fay on the other hand was absolutely petrified of it. It is a VERY loud hoover - my Mother in Law gave it to us as it used to belong to her and it is like an industrial one, even I get jump when it first comes on as its always louder than I think it will be :lol:

Fay used to stamp her feet a lot and try and hide, bless her. Its ok now she is outside, there are no scary hoovers out there!

Foe. They don’t mind if I’m vacuuming another room in the house, they even come up to the glass doors to investigate when I’m hovering downstairs in the room next to theirs. But as soon as the hoover crosses the threshold into the living room (their room) they go into panic mode :shock:

I can only hoover the living room when it’s daylight and I can kick them outside, or if I blackmail them into the dining room with pellets while I hoover the living room :lol:

Some of mine are indifferent, some have never met it, some see it definitely as a foe. In fact whenever mum goes near Star he runs and jumps to try and get back in his cage (he's an indoor bunny and can't access his cage from the floor). Me and my mum probably do equal hoovering yet he associates my mum with it and is scared of her because of the noise the hoover makes. He's a funny one though.

Biccy loves the hoover, he comes and grooms it :roll::oops::shock:

When we first had him, we did the same, hoover in another room so he was aware of the noise etc, and he'd run a mile and hide/cower in the corner of his pen under a box :( used to really upset me.

Now, it comes out, he comes up to it and licks it and noses it. Then when we put it on he chases it around the living room as we move with it. It's actually quite sweet! :love:

It's really odd, isn't it!!?? How they seem to 'enjoy' it's, well, erm, company!?:lol::lol:

And to think, how much do you spend buying them toys!?:D

Starbuck doesnt mind the hoover - he is quite inquisitive about it. But Starbuck is deaf so he doesnt get scared by the noise.

Fay on the other hand was absolutely petrified of it. It is a VERY loud hoover - my Mother in Law gave it to us as it used to belong to her and it is like an industrial one, even I get jump when it first comes on as its always louder than I think it will be :lol:

Fay used to stamp her feet a lot and try and hide, bless her. Its ok now she is outside, there are no scary hoovers out there!

I too had a rabbit that would stamp it's hind feet in disgust as soon as the vaccum came into view! He was so not impressed!:lol:

Some of mine are indifferent, some have never met it, some see it definitely as a foe. In fact whenever mum goes near Star he runs and jumps to try and get back in his cage (he's an indoor bunny and can't access his cage from the floor). Me and my mum probably do equal hoovering yet he associates my mum with it and is scared of her because of the noise the hoover makes. He's a funny one though.

Isn't it funny, how they all behave so differently?! I would have thought the calmness of some might rub off on to the nervous buns.:D

When mine were indoors, Joejoe wasn't bothered by it in the slightest in fact in the end i had to shut him in their cage (which was never ever shut) for 5 minutes because the minute my back was turned he'd try eating the wire :shock: Jess though absolutely hated it and would run into her little tent terrified.

Now they are outdoors the same thing happens with the lawnmower - Joejoe not bothered, Jess runs into their bedroom.

Talking of when they used to be indoors, they are coming back in for a couple of days this weekend :D:D:D We've got next monday tuesday off and are stripping and woodstaining the hutch/run and relocating it in a better position so my babies are living in the kitchen til it's all done :D

When mine were indoors, Joejoe wasn't bothered by it in the slightest in fact in the end i had to shut him in their cage (which was never ever shut) for 5 minutes because the minute my back was turned he'd try eating the wire :shock: Jess though absolutely hated it and would run into her little tent terrified.

Now they are outdoors the same thing happens with the lawnmower - Joejoe not bothered, Jess runs into their bedroom.

Talking of when they used to be indoors, they are coming back in for a couple of days this weekend :D:D:D We've got next monday tuesday off and are stripping and woodstaining the hutch/run and relocating it in a better position so my babies are living in the kitchen til it's all done :D

I have to watch my two with the power cable, they are all over the vaccum after I have finished hoovering a room. It has to be put away asap as it get's so much attention! Lord knows why it's so fascinating to them?:lol:

Have fun getting the hutch sorted!:D

Sooty isn't scared of the Hoover at all! he tends to sit infront of it and I have to nudge him (somtimes repeatedly) with it to get him out of the way. when we had our upright one he used to climb on it with him front paws as I pushed it round!
I think he quite enjoys when I hoover though as it usually means Im gunna start moving furnature like the sofa to hoover behind it which he finds very exciting! in fact if he's not in the room when I start hoovering and moving stuff around I bring him in so he doesn't miss out on the fun! :lol:

Foe. Both hate it. As soon as it comes into the room, they stamp their feetsies and go and hide till I am finished.

Oh dear! So not fans then!:lol:

Sooty isn't scared of the Hoover at all! he tends to sit infront of it and I have to nudge him (somtimes repeatedly) with it to get him out of the way. when we had our upright one he used to climb on it with him front paws as I pushed it round!
I think he quite enjoys when I hoover though as it usually means Im gunna start moving furnature like the sofa to hoover behind it which he finds very exciting! in fact if he's not in the room when I start hoovering and moving stuff around I bring him in so he doesn't miss out on the fun! :lol:

That sounds like Rory, he will not budge an inch! I can almost imagine him thinking " Just go around me, I have made myself comfortable!".:lol:

Pearl was petrified, Holly is not happy and grunts, thumps and goes through to the other room until i have finished.

Alvin loves the vaccum, because he is deaf the noise doesnt scare him.. hes very interested in the nozzle bit and often stands under the hot air bit :love::love:

Pearl was petrified, Holly is not happy and grunts, thumps and goes through to the other room until i have finished.

Alvin loves the vaccum, because he is deaf the noise doesnt scare him.. hes very interested in the nozzle bit and often stands under the hot air bit :love::love:

That might explain Biscuit's love of the hoover as he tries to get near my OH when she's drying her hair too :love:

Back