• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny poo everywhere!

KoShiatar

Mama Doe
Since Mango and Maia have been bonded, they have a room all to themselves, with Mango's cage (1 meter long two-story condo) always open, a couch, toys and of course a big (cat-sized) litter tray.
When they were separated, they were very clean and tended to poop in the litter tray, only leaving the occasional odd poo around. However now they poo in the litter tray AND everywhere else! I even often find wee patches outside the litter tray.
It's getting problematic because me and OH both work all day and imagine a whole room full of bunny poo on the floor, to be cleaned out every day! It was so much easier when there only were the litter contents to dispose of. And of course, it smells quite a bit.
Any suggestions? Perhaps put more litter trays in the room? We tried, but it didn't make much of an improvement...

How long have they been bonded?

Its possible if it is new they are still marking territory and sorting things out between them and their space, so it may settle in time if that's the case.

They have been bonded for about a month now. They go along quite well, apart from the occasional grunting from Maia at meal times. There has been some humping at the beginning, mostly because the male's hormones had not died down, but that seems to have stopped completely. If it can be of any help, the room used to be the female's territory before they went to live together; the male lived in a pen in the living room.

I suspect you've hit the nail on the head there, in that it used to be your ladies territory. Hopefully once they both feel safe and secure they will stop doing it.

It might be worth trying to clean the area with a distilled vinegar solution, but if they are scent marking they will just carry on because you will have wiped all their scent.

An option would be to enclose them into a pen in that room and maybe go back to basic principles of litter training and almost start again with that behaviour.

I suspect it's the female who began because when she was freed from the room to go see the male, she would drop poos all around his pen like they were bombs :lol: and scent-mark everything in sight including myself. However the sheer quantity of poo is excessive to be produced by one bunny alone, methinks. :shock: The litter tray is also completely filled with it! It looks like there's no practical limit to how much poo they can produce!

Holly and Alvin were missing the litter tray with pee at the start too.. i expect when we move this will happen again. poop scattering has never stopped but i admit i love to see loads of scattered poops because it means both bunnies tummies are working well :love::love::love:

I have the same problem still, despite my two being bonded since birth! I followed all the instructions when I first got them but they didn't improve and I felt bad cooping them up, so I gave up. I've now got one storage box in their cage, another in their pen and another in the living room, plus 3 normal sized-hi-bac litter trays in the pen as well. And I still get wet patches.

I think it's territory behaviour too. I wonder whether a "hers" & "his" box (hidey hole) would help?

I think it's territory behaviour too. I wonder whether a "hers" & "his" box (hidey hole) would help?

I'm not sure since they don't seem to consider the litter box one or the other's territory. In truth I have seem them share it pacifically several times. But it could be worth a try I suppose...

I'm not sure since they don't seem to consider the litter box one or the other's territory. In truth I have seem them share it pacifically several times. But it could be worth a try I suppose...

Sorry I meant a hidey hole cardboard box like a hutch but smaller - a place they could claim as their own or a while & use for security.

Let me know if you find the answer, Donnie was 100% trained til Lady came along, now they have their own trays, they rarely pee outside them but there's poop all around it, they've got the general direction but can't seem to get all the poops in the litter tray.

My bunsitter friend will get a wee bit of a surprise in few weeks when she comes to mind the two.:shock:
Donnie was so clean last time!:roll:

Back