• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ryedale or happy hutch advice needed...

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I'm about to press the button on a 3 storey ryedale set up for my (future bonded on 2nd Oct) five but I'm wondering if I can get more for my money from Happy Hutches.

The buns will be permanently in an 8ftx6ft86ft shed with this 3 storey hutch inside to go in and out of, and while I know that Ryedale is the most weather- durable, perhaps I don't need the most durable if this hutch isn't going to see a drop of rain?

The ryedale hutch on order will cost the best part of 500 quid.

What would you guys recommend?

I think if it's going in a shed a happy hutch might be better. Ryedale are very good quality but if it's not going outside anyway I'd get the cheaper hutch and save yourself some money

For inside the shed I would just the cheaper hutch - though I have heard varied reports on happy hutch... Have you alternative housing if the 5 dont bond? If not then the ryedale might be better - if you had to put a pair in there?
I dunno im not much help really..

5?????

Spenser has a Ryedale - it really is a good solid hutch. Kaths101 has a good point, but I hope you're bonding goes well. :wave: Happy Hutch was the other option I considered, but I went for the Ryedale because it was going to be exposed to the elemnts and the west coast of Scotland can be a bit inclement. Some of the outer wood has discoloured a bit.

I was also going to suggest buying your own materials and building something into the shed for them. :wave: It'd be much cheaper. I love the look of the Ryedale hutches but they're so expensive. :shock:

Ryedale made all my guinea pig hutches which are all inside - I had them made with the 9mm ply and they are absolutely fine 4 years on.

The loglap hutches are incredibly heavy too.

If your hutches are protected from the elements there seems little reason to pay the extra for weatherproofing. :D

Back