• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy has bloat - very poorly U/D Doing better!

weedug

Mama Doe
He is very poorly :(. Just back from a long visit to the vet.

He was given fiberplex, an appetite stimulant, I was to give him some meloxidyl, and I have 2 injections of stronger painkiller to give him if he doesn't pick up soon. But the strong painkiller will make him sleepy and he is bad enough just now, which is why we are trying without.

He also had some saline injected under the skin to rehydrate him.

He has managed some poos since he came home, which surprisingly appeared normal, and he has had a few raspberry leaves to eat but he is back to sitting sleeping beside a heatpad (he is an indoor bun, but I thought it might help his tummy).

The poor little soul is so unwell, and the vet didn't seem very hopeful :(.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

Does his treatment sound OK? He was given Xeno 450 mite treatment yesterday. Could that have caused this?

He really seems to like the heatpad. Hopefully that is helping with the pain a little. He has had a few nibbles on his hay, but nothing else lately.

He has a variety of fresh greens (wild things) that I was going to replace every few hours during the night, and hay and his pellets. Does that sound OK for him?

I'm so attached to him, I really don't want anything to happen to him :cry:

I'm dreading having to decide if he's to get the painkiller injection in case it makes him too sleepy to eat.

Has he eat anything..or Drank anything since you came back from the vet?

You know where I am if you need me ...give me a call

Has he eat anything..or Drank anything since you came back from the vet?

You know where I am if you need me ...give me a call

He's not had anything to drink, but has had a little hay and some raspberry leaved and grass. Right now he looks a bit brighter, but he tends to seem OK for a little while, then goes downhill again.

Just looked at the meds too, and they weren't what I was expecting. I thought I was getting 2 injections, both the same of a painkiller. Instead I have Buprecare, zantac and metoclopramide. Don't know what order I've to give them.

He's not had anything to drink, but has had a little hay and some raspberry leaved and grass. Right now he looks a bit brighter, but he tends to seem OK for a little while, then goes downhill again.

Just looked at the meds too, and they weren't what I was expecting. I thought I was getting 2 injections, both the same of a painkiller. Instead I have Buprecare, zantac and metoclopramide. Don't know what order I've to give them.

Can you phone the vets to check? They should have an out of hours number.

Buprecare in the painkiller its a morphine base injection .It will make him very sleepy unless he is in alot of pain I wouldn't give him it ...Has he had any zantac or Metoclopramide today yet?

The Buprecare was what we decided not to give him unless he really needed it because he was just so sleepy anyway.

He has had zantac and metoclopramide, so I assume the others are for tomorrow morning (I'll phone first to check). I really think he is still too sleepy for the Buprecare.

Floppy's just been up again and managed some more raspberry leaves, fresh grass and some apple leaves. He's back lying on a fresh heatpad again.

Right now he is looking a bit better, but as I said he is not bad one minute and then back to awful.

I put some water on his greens since he isn't drinking, and the vet gave him a third of a days water under his skin.

Hi

Did the vet take any x-rays to see if his stomach was large, they also should be able to feel this.
Does your vet use metacam?

If no improvment I would ask for a second opinion.

Jay M

No x-rays were taken, the vet could feel his stomach had gas in it.

My vet uses meloxidyl instead of metacam.

Floppy is back to lying around again, but his face looks a bit better. Maybe just the fluid he had injected under the skin.

I'm so sorry to hear this, what a worry for you. :(

I've no experience of bloat, but it sounds like you are doing a great job.

Sending lots of vibes that he starts to improve very soon.

My vet uses meloxidyl too, it's the same thing pretty much.

Poor Floppy :cry: So sorry to hear that he is so poorly. Sounds like you have all the right things there with you so just stay positive, i'm sure he'll feel better in the morning. He can go back for more fluids under the skin if he needs them in the morning. Good luck x

Back