• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What age is old for a Rabbit?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
I know.....how long is a piece of string?

Me and hubby we're talking the other night about how old our buns are.

They are 3 and half, he thought that was old and I said its middle aged.

How old would you say is old for a bunny?

I know from being on this site you get buns that live to ten but of course mine are going to live forever:D

I always think of 7 years as old and 5 or 6 as middle aged :?

Some bunnies age quicker than others. I have seen 5 year olds that act like old men yet my nearly 10 year old only started to age in the last 6 months. at 9 years he looked the same as he did at 2 :)

A lot depends on breed, like larger bunnies on average live a shorter life than smaller bunnies.

8-10 would be a good age for a smaller bunny. Maybe 5 would be a good age for a larger bunny.

I've known two buns that reached 12yrs, and have heard of much older, but generally I'd say 8yrs is getting on a bit.

My little Joey is 9yrs and looks like a little old man:love:

Yes I've got 7 in my head as ball-park for old. Having said that, like you Liz, I have three 7-year olds and none of them behave a day over 2 :?

Ive only just condsidered my 8 year old as old because she has began to slow down alot now. I think it varies from bun to bun too..... some buns are old before their time and some are young when they are old :p

depends on the breed
conti giants live only 3-4 years however i have a 7 yr old
smaller breed anything from 5-7 years oldest mini lop i had was coming up 10

3 young, 5-7 middle age and late middle age, 8-9 oldish, 10 old.

Think of it as equalising ten years in human terms - though obviously :the sexual maturity doesn't quite align:oops::oops::lol::lol:

3 is young, 5-6 is middle-aged and 7 is "senior". Of course the larger breeds don't live as long on average and the smaller breeds live longer on average.

Benny (part Continental Giant) lived to be around 6. My oldest at the moment is Rocket (Netherland Dwarf) who is now 8.5 years old and looks the same as when we got him at 3.5 years old. :)

I think the reason many people have the perception that rabbits don't live very long is because most people's experience of a rabbit is something that's kept in a hutch at the bottom of the garden and isn't neutered or vaccinated. Bunnies that aren't watched closely or fixed/shots are likely to die young.

AMETHYST

My oldest bun is 5 and i still see him as really young. He doesnt look or act old at all. I would probably say around 7/8 plus is an "old" bun

Smirnoff was 6 last month:shock:

Sugar was 5 last month

Alfie is 5 -probably getting on for 6 cos think he was 10mths ish when I got him in Oct 2005

Polly & Flint must be almost 5 cos I got the Jan 2006

Kendra was born here 6/7/2006 - so she's 4 already:shock:

I got Calel Aug 2006, & vet thought he was between 1year & 18 months so he is 5-6

Treacle came early that year as a foster of about 5 months, so she's probably 5

Suki - I'm not sure:oops: I can't remember how old she was when she came

Jamie the conti foster who never left is 2 years old & Bella the baby wildie is 10mths

:wave:The oldest rabbit I had lived to be just shy of twelve years, I think that's pretty good!

I hope I have Rory and Suki for as long, if not longer!:D

3 and a half is young-not even middle aged.
My previous buns lived to 10yrs and 11 and a half yrs.

I would think about 5yrs is middle aged for a bunny.

I bunny year = 10 human years
so a 3 and a half yr old is the equivalent of a 35yr old human.

I guess buns are as old as they feel- much like us humans;)
sue:wave:
(57yrs )

Back