• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you make up the litter trays

DaydreamBunny

Alpha Buck
Do you put hay all over the trays and do the rabbits then eat what they have peed on and if so does it harm them? What type of hay do you use for litter trays?

I use large under bed boxes so create quite a lot of waste from litter trays :?

I put a layer of megazorb on the bottom, this absorbs the wee and so the only hay that is wet is the stuff it dribbles over before it gets to the megazorb. On top of the megazorb I put a thin layer of cheap hay from a horse supplier. On top of that I put some more cheap hay on one half of the tray. On the other half I put some Jollyes general hay, which is £5 for a large bag.

They pick and chose which bits of the hay they eat. I don't think they eat any of the stuff they have weed over because they always wee in the corner of the tray and they eat the stuff up the other end whilst they are going toilet.

I use the under bed boxes too and put a layer of paper covered with hay.

I don't bother with magazorb or similar as I change the trays daily.

Mine only poop/wee one end, and scoff the other end, although BB (monster hay lover) has now started sitting outside her tray and poops/wees outside so she can eat all the hay:lol:

I line mine with newspaper, then a layer of cheap hay then I throw in handfuls of nice eating hay through the day - they do have fresh hay baskets elsewhere but they tend to like to eat while they poo..
It is a bit of a squeeze for my 4 - though they do have 2 of these but as soon one jumps in the other 3 follow :lol:

CIMG2880.jpg

I line mine with newspaper, then a layer of cheap hay then I throw in handfuls of nice eating hay through the day - they do have fresh hay baskets elsewhere but they tend to like to eat while they poo..
It is a bit of a squeeze for my 4 - though they do have 2 of these but as soon one jumps in the other 3 follow :lol:

CIMG2880.jpg

That's amazing, what fantastic temperaments they must have :). Mine don't like to share their trays even though both of them can fit in at the same time easily, usually one of them nips the other to make them jump out

And another alternative...

I use the large boxes too, but I do a layer of newspaper, then megazorb, then hay. The hay gets refilled twice daily but they're quite happy to sit on weed on hay and eat fresh hay!

It depends on the buns too, my two foster buns only go in one corner of thier trays and dig out that corner if anythings in it - I have adapted and there's only hay in 3/4 of their trays!!

I line the tray with newspaper (it's more of a storage box) then put a layer of wood litter for rabbits on top of this, then I add a layer of straw to make it nice and soft. The hay rack hangs over the tray so a few bits drop in the tray, but I don't think Basil eats much hay out of his tray.

I have big storage boxes in my shed with wood shavings *I know, shock horror!, but it's only until it's gone then it will be aubiose* to adsorb the wee and I have a hay hanger above the tray.
A lot of hay does still get pulled in and wasted but it's less than if I were filling it every day.

I use a storage box, put megazorb layer on bottom and hay on top.. then Loxxy comes along and digs it all over the place - she never did that with the wood pellets so may go back to those under hay!

I use under bed storage boxes too and I fill them like this:

Newspaper on the bottom
Layer of megazorb
Another layer of newspaper
Hay

I change the top layer of newspaper and hay daily and then do a full clean out every couple of days.

It's just so much quicker (and cleaner) doing it this way than having to change the whole lot every day :D

I currently have those little corner litter trays for Biscuit, but am getting rid as soon as bonding has done.

I have 2x largish cat litter trays with high ends to stop over dribble!

I layer newspaper then wood shavings then hay, seems quite a regular way of doing it :)

I currently have those little corner litter trays for Biscuit, but am getting rid as soon as bonding has done.

I have 2x largish cat litter trays with high ends to stop over dribble!

I layer newspaper then wood shavings then hay, seems quite a regular way of doing it :)

I also have a cat litter tray, that has quite high sides to stop any accidents, layer of wood shavings to soak it up and then some hay. He only goes in the one corner though and he likes to run around and flick the poo everywhere!!

Back