• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice on rescuing buns

Mopz

Young Bun
...hey everyone, i have been thinking about setting up a rescue, im only 19 so it wont be for a long while yet i realise there is ALOT of money invloved and i have no where near enough right now but i have been around rabbits for 9 years now and i would really like to help all those buns out there in need. Im just wondering if theres anything i can be doing now (apart from saving!!) to work up to it. I have read similar threads and i really think i could do it, i havnt had a holiday in the last 4 years at least and it doesnt bother me, im not one to go out everynight or spend all my money on useless things.

Theres alot i need to know and learn before i set my mind on it cos i obviously havnt had the experience which is why im asking on here for any advice you can give me. I have read a good place to start is volunteering at a rescue? does anyone know any rescues in the west yorkshire area in need of any help? any advice is really appreciated.

http://www.yorkshireanimalshelter.org.uk/

horsforth, leeds 18

I'm probably really pessimistic but I always think it makes more sense to join forces with an existing rescue than try to set up on your own...just means you have to start from scratch, do all your own fundraising, register as a charity etc etc...it's much more efficient to join up with someone who's already done all that. Strength in numbers :)

Remember that if you have a job, it needs to be super flexible so you can constantly take time off for vet trips and to see to any animals who need intensive nursing. And if you don't have a job - nothing to live off. ;) I only have four pets and I have had a nightmare of a time recently trying to fit vet trips around work. My friend who runs a rescue is at the vets every 2 -3 days.

Good luck anyway if you go ahead - I would love to do it, it must be so rewarding, but I know I couldn't cope!

Bunnymadhouse on here runs the Rabbit bit of Barnsley Animal Rescue (near j36 of M1 - so not far into South Yorks)

She had people volunteer for her before - I only did once, so am in hiding:oops::lol:

You could PM her?

Also Sue's Rabbit rescue in Dewsbury - I boarded a couple of their buns when they were on hol - so don't know if they need anyone to help? Then there's the Bunny Camp sanctuary in Bradford, Yorkshire Animal Shelter in Horsforth, Camp Nibble (Leeds I think) - I've not had anything to do with those ones

You could foster to gain experience & to do it on someone else's money/rehoming responsibilty:lol:

Also - there's a homecheck section in Rabbits In need - you could offer to help on those:D

Back