• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

curious magpie

catxx

Mama Doe
I wish I got a picture, but earlier today the buns were out in their grass run, and a cheeky magpie landed on the bird table, spotted the run, and hopped over, cheeping to itself.

It walked right the way around it, all over the top of it, buns couldn't have cared less, and seemed to be thinking "what the hell are THOSE things, and what are they eating that I can't get to??". I assume it was a young Magpie that's never seen bunnies before!

Anyone else had curious innocent wildlife? Foxes don't count!

You have to watch those magpies. My friend's little mini-lop got stalked by a couple when he was out free-ranging. He didn't come to any harm, and apparently didn't seem bothered by them ... but then he teases their neighbour's dogs by periscoping right up at the dividing fence!

this one got scared off by next door's dog coming bounding out into their garden.

the magpie can't get into the runs so that's no problem. when I do get the right fencing and they free range I'll be standing guard!

Hi:wave:

We have loadsa visitors:

We have had a couple of cocky magpies this year too! There was a family of magpies constantly in our garden a couple of months back.
They were actually brave enough to land on top of the run and walk about it, the bunnies werent bothered on bit. I think it was the young ones that were doing it. Some mrnings it seemed as if the bunnies were getting ganged up on, four magpies would be hovering about the garden but they did jump back if one of the bunnies ran a bit fast:)

Squirrel - Eddie, he visits quite often. His nut feeder is at the bottom of the garden but twice we've caught him sitting on the fence above the hutches. The rabbits were out in there run at them time. The bunnies spotted him and just stared, Leon starting thumping, he was not a happy bunny. The wee squirrel didnt know what to make of it, he just sat on the fence doing a wee dance and watching the bunnies :)

Hedgehog - Wee Steve:) Leon quite often gets us out our beds at night with his thumping. on 3 occasions we've found its been a hedgehog hovering about. Once we looked out the window and actually caught the hedgehog peering into Leons hutch :) but he scampers once the outside light goes on.

I saw a baby magpie this summer helping himself to Phoebe's food out of her bowl unfortunately she spotted him first and belted him ..he didn't come back!
We get a lot of woodpidgeons and very early one morning I saw one peering into the hutch very earnestly and just as earnestly Phoebe was peering out ...I don't know who was more puzzled ...should've took a picture :lol:

haha! we have woodpigeons and collared doves who seem fairly unbothered. had a few baffled squirrels though!

We've got doves and pigeons too - they're no more interested in Spenser than he is of them. Oddly enough, Spenser is very frightened of blackbird song. He completely freezes and his eyes really start. The barking (and it can be persistent) of next door's Jack Russell doesn't get any reaction at all.

on the rare occasion next doors dog gets over excited and growls at his toys, the buns scatter!

Although my buns dont mind the magpies hovering about, Sammy absolutely hates the squawking sound they make and he starts thumping out of annoyance:)

In my old home we had a large magpie land in the garden back when the buns lived outside.... It went to the rabbit's food and began helping itself to the pellets :lol: This didn't go down well with Batbunny, who charged at it and scared it away :roll:

I have a friend who's rabbit is stalked by a magpie, apparently sometimes they like to steal rabbit fur (off their back) to line their nests with!

Back