• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just back from the vets-My poorly buns have had mixi jabs & more ops required!

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Just got back from the vets. I'd took patch and blaze together in a carrier and sunny and paws who I've just bonded together.

The vet vaccinated patch, blaze and paws for mixi but couldn't do sunny as he had a shot of baytril injection 50ml i think it said( hmm that seems alot- have i got that wrong?). Sunny has had runny eyes i noticed today- white discharge ab it, and looked a bit teary yesterday, but the vet said his teeth are okay. He is a dental bun though.

Patch's post op was okay for neutering. He also had his teeth checked which are fine and was prescribed eye antibiotics again for his eyes. The vet said he has ongoing dental problems so I'll require to continue antibiotics long term in the eyes- is this normal? Should i get a repeat prescription or do they have to keep changing them every few weeks?

Blaze's teeth were checked and he has spurs so he is going in for an operation on them on Monday. He is also being neutered at the same time. The vet said he needs a tear duct flush also so this is being done at the same time. He is also on eye antibiotics , which I've been told are ongoing, as will be the dental ops.

Paws had a post op check for neutering and was fine and his teeth were also fine, so i'm not sure why he has had slightly wet eyes recently. The vet said that it may be a contagious spread because three of my other girls also have runny eyes. One thought it was pasteurella, but i'm going to have to have tests done really to confirm this. I have a snuffle bun and she shows no symptoms like they are showing.

So glad to have got some mixi jabs done finally for my poorly buns. I have not had it done due to them having infections, but i'm glad it's sorted now.

So back to the vet on Monday with poor blaze. The vet said patch looks very frail too after his operation. Should i increase his pellets as he isn't eating hay. The vet didn't prescribe any pain relief, said he didn't need it. Hope he is okay though.

The other thing the vet thought blaze had been neutered because he doesn't seem to have very much below. I think it's because he is slightly deformed maybe, because i'm positive I've not neutered him at all. Unless I've totally forgotten about it- hmm how could i forget that. Shouldn't the vet be able to tell? Vibes for blaze's op appreciated :)

The vet said giving baytril on patch's front paws is okay to do as long as he is licking it off, keep doing that. So that's a relief. He has got clever now and tries to avoid me squirting his feet, but it's still much easier for him than putting a syringe in his sensitive mouth after the op.

Anyways just thought i'd share my progress with the buns today ,

Hope everyone elses bunnys are doing okay xxx

P.s now patch is neutered - can he go with blaze un-neutered as they seemed fine together again, or should i just wait until blaze is back from the op? They are both poorly so i wanted them to have a friend as they are solo buns at the moment.

Is it too much of a risk putting blaze with patch when patch is still unneutered- should i leave it a few months until after his op for hormones to settle as i did sunny and paws?

Blaze is in on monday, so it's not such a long wait i suppose- i'm just fed up of seeing blaze all lonely.

There is no way I would put Patch and Blaze together, they could 'turn' suddenly and there is just too much risk of injury.

As Blaze has eye problems and is in next week, I would ask the vet about stopping the antibiotics this week and having the contents of the tear duct flush sent away for cytology/C&S. Even if it does come back as pasteurella from this or your other buns, it still doesn't mean that you have a 'pasteurella outbreak'. Pasteurella bacteria is very common as a low-level bacteria in rabbits which doesn't normally cause problems. It could still be tooth root problems causing irritation and infection in the tear ducts - and the infection there may or may not be caused by the pasteurella bacteria.

If the tear ducts are completely and permanently blocked, it is possible that they will require long term antibiotics, or you might find that when they are bonded, they will groom each others eyes and prevent the build up.

Was Patch frail before the op or has it only happened after? Next steps really depend on why he is frail and to be frank I would walk away from a vet who told me that a bun didn't need pain relief after an operation and never see them again.

Have you only ever used this vet with the buns? If so, can you just ask them to check their records to see if he has been neutered? Is he definitely male?

Just got back from the vets. I'd took patch and blaze together in a carrier and sunny and paws who I've just bonded together.

The vet vaccinated patch, blaze and paws for mixi but couldn't do sunny as he had a shot of baytril injection 50ml i think it said( hmm that seems alot- have i got that wrong?). Sunny has had runny eyes i noticed today- white discharge ab it, and looked a bit teary yesterday, but the vet said his teeth are okay. He is a dental bun though.

Patch's post op was okay for neutering. He also had his teeth checked which are fine and was prescribed eye antibiotics again for his eyes. The vet said he has ongoing dental problems so I'll require to continue antibiotics long term in the eyes- is this normal? Should i get a repeat prescription or do they have to keep changing them every few weeks?

Blaze's teeth were checked and he has spurs so he is going in for an operation on them on Monday. He is also being neutered at the same time. The vet said he needs a tear duct flush also so this is being done at the same time. He is also on eye antibiotics , which I've been told are ongoing, as will be the dental ops.

Paws had a post op check for neutering and was fine and his teeth were also fine, so i'm not sure why he has had slightly wet eyes recently. The vet said that it may be a contagious spread because three of my other girls also have runny eyes. One thought it was pasteurella, but i'm going to have to have tests done really to confirm this. I have a snuffle bun and she shows no symptoms like they are showing.

So glad to have got some mixi jabs done finally for my poorly buns. I have not had it done due to them having infections, but i'm glad it's sorted now.

So back to the vet on Monday with poor blaze. The vet said patch looks very frail too after his operation. Should i increase his pellets as he isn't eating hay. The vet didn't prescribe any pain relief, said he didn't need it. Hope he is okay though.

The other thing the vet thought blaze had been neutered because he doesn't seem to have very much below. I think it's because he is slightly deformed maybe, because i'm positive I've not neutered him at all. Unless I've totally forgotten about it- hmm how could i forget that. Shouldn't the vet be able to tell? Vibes for blaze's op appreciated :)

The vet said giving baytril on patch's front paws is okay to do as long as he is licking it off, keep doing that. So that's a relief. He has got clever now and tries to avoid me squirting his feet, but it's still much easier for him than putting a syringe in his sensitive mouth after the op.

Anyways just thought i'd share my progress with the buns today ,

Hope everyone elses bunnys are doing okay xxx

Your vet vaccinated a rabbit he described as frail, wont prescribe pain relief for a rabbit that apparently has a sore mouth, hasn't offered your rabbits any diagnostics for eye problems that have gone on for well over a year, has allowed another rabbit to go untreated, for weeks after diagnosing spurs...the list is endless. If all this is true, I really think you need to find a decent vet. Please don't take this the wrong way. I can tell you are very fond of your rabbits, but do you need any help trying to get them sorted?

There is no way I would put Patch and Blaze together, they could 'turn' suddenly and there is just too much risk of injury.

As Blaze has eye problems and is in next week, I would ask the vet about stopping the antibiotics this week and having the contents of the tear duct flush sent away for cytology/C&S. Even if it does come back as pasteurella from this or your other buns, it still doesn't mean that you have a 'pasteurella outbreak'. Pasteurella bacteria is very common as a low-level bacteria in rabbits which doesn't normally cause problems. It could still be tooth root problems causing irritation and infection in the tear ducts - and the infection there may or may not be caused by the pasteurella bacteria.

If the tear ducts are completely and permanently blocked, it is possible that they will require long term antibiotics, or you might find that when they are bonded, they will groom each others eyes and prevent the build up.

Was Patch frail before the op or has it only happened after? Next steps really depend on why he is frail and to be frank I would walk away from a vet who told me that a bun didn't need pain relief after an operation and never see them again.

Have you only ever used this vet with the buns? If so, can you just ask them to check their records to see if he has been neutered? Is he definitely male?

I used another vet about 1 year ago. I changed from them as they used to clip shadows teeth- which according to my current vet can be damaging if the teeth split. They did however give protexin with the antibiotics, for the gut, which these vets dont. They don't give any kind of gut stimulant with the antibiotics whatsoever.

He is definately male. The vet checked. I've not had him neutered for sure.

Patch i was frail before also. Both patch and blazes coats are terrible looking compared to all my other buns which have silky coats. They are all kept pretty much the same. I don't know if this is of any significance. Even with brushing, there coats are dull. Very runny eyes that never clear up. The closest thing that helped was tiacil, but nothing had got rid of it completely.

Thankyou for all your help with this xx
xx

Your vet vaccinated a rabbit he described as frail, wont prescribe pain relief for a rabbit that apparently has a sore mouth, hasn't offered your rabbits any diagnostics for eye problems that have gone on for well over a year, has allowed another rabbit to go untreated, for weeks after diagnosing spurs...the list is endless. If all this is true, I really think you need to find a decent vet. Please don't take this the wrong way. I can tell you are very fond of your rabbits, but do you need any help trying to get them sorted?

I said that he was chewing his mouth and he didn't say anything, he seemed to think his mouth was fine and he was fine. I did ask for pain relief, but he just disregarded it. I didn't push it like i should have done. I'll be moving shortly so i'll sign up with the new vets in the area and try figure out which is best.

If you could point me in the direction of a known bunny savvy vet, that would be good. I'm moving near to ilkley, so anything that way on would be good. Thankyou :) xx

I am shocked that a vet would vaccinate rabbits with so many health problems :? There is also no way I would book a bunny in for a GA so soon after a vaccination. :?

I am shocked that a vet would vaccinate rabbits with so many health problems :? There is also no way I would book a bunny in for a GA so soon after a vaccination. :?

It's for alot of stuff too- tear duct flush, neutering and spurs. The guy who i saw wasn't my usual vet. I don't know if he wasn't a locum there. Yes i didn't even think about it being under a week since the mixi jab. Blaze is not a happy bunny at all :( xx

It's for alot of stuff too- tear duct flush, neutering and spurs. The guy who i saw wasn't my usual vet. I don't know if he wasn't a locum there. Yes i didn't even think about it being under a week since the mixi jab. Blaze is not a happy bunny at all :( xx

I would normally wait 2 weeks after a vaccination for any kind of GA unless it was an emergency :wave:

I would normally wait 2 weeks after a vaccination for any kind of GA unless it was an emergency :wave:

Maybe he thinks getting the teeth done is urgent now. Can't understand why they didn't suggest any form of treatment last time. I've been thinking the vets are coming from an expert perspective, but this is obviously not the case in some cases.

Patch is actually looking better , I've put him on burgess excel instead of wagg pellets and his coat seems to have improved. He is eating very well and drinking, except for hay. I gave him alot of herbs today which he enjoyed throughly. He is looking brighter in general. So hopefully the mixi jab hasn't done any harm with him.

Blaze was abit grumpy this evening, not surprisingly. He is eating and drinking fine, and i don't think this mixi jab is causing any problems. He does seem improved after having 3 lots of eye antibiotics today. His eyes still look terrible, but his spirits seem lifted. It's strange, because the vet didn't give sunny the mixi jab because of the antibiotics shot he gave, but he did tell me to continue patch's baytril even after a mixi jab. Is this high risk for the vet to tell me to do that?

xx

Maybe he thinks getting the teeth done is urgent now. Can't understand why they didn't suggest any form of treatment last time. I've been thinking the vets are coming from an expert perspective, but this is obviously not the case in some cases.

Patch is actually looking better , I've put him on burgess excel instead of wagg pellets and his coat seems to have improved. He is eating very well and drinking, except for hay. I gave him alot of herbs today which he enjoyed throughly. He is looking brighter in general. So hopefully the mixi jab hasn't done any harm with him.

Blaze was abit grumpy this evening, not surprisingly. He is eating and drinking fine, and i don't think this mixi jab is causing any problems. He does seem improved after having 3 lots of eye antibiotics today. His eyes still look terrible, but his spirits seem lifted. It's strange, because the vet didn't give sunny the mixi jab because of the antibiotics shot he gave, but he did tell me to continue patch's baytril even after a mixi jab. Is this high risk for the vet to tell me to do that?

xx

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_Schering-Plough/Nobivac_Myxo/-29532.html

Fingers crossed for Blaze's dental and neuter today. As he's having a GA, it would be a good idea to ask them to x-ray his skull. Then you might be closer to finding out if this ongoing eye problem some of your rabbits have, is dental related.

PS. Don't forget to collect some metacam when you go to collect him.

Fingers crossed for Blaze's dental and neuter today. As he's having a GA, it would be a good idea to ask them to x-ray his skull. Then you might be closer to finding out if this ongoing eye problem some of your rabbits have, is dental related.

PS. Don't forget to collect some metacam when you go to collect him

I agree

Good luck today :)

Thankyou both for your kind wishes and for helping me on this subject.

I got some painkillers injected again today. The vet said they were as strong as morphine for rabbits. I didn't catch what was the name he gave to the meds.

He said today that metacam long term is no good and it's best to keep coming back for injectable pain relief, as metacam can cause more problems.

I've been given prescription for antibiotics and told to administer them two weeks on two weeks off, giving 2 weeks breaks in between.

Also they are likely to continue to be on steroid antibiotics to help with the swelling of the eyes- again two weeks on and with breaks in between.

The vet said patches eyes have cleared up quite well- this coincides with the dental spurs being removed. The vet didn't think patch looked in pain, but he gave some meds anyway.

Blaze has had a strong painkiller on leaving and the vet told me to continue administering antibiotics- including steroid eye drops.

Blaze is resting now on some towels. I've seen him eat and drink. He hasn't been to the toliet yet, but i'm hoping he will shortly.

He's still quite effected by the anesthetic, laid out. Patch was much more bubbly after his op. He has been through alot today bless him xx

I'm pleased they seem ok, and that Blaze coped with his dental and castrate.
I'm surprised the vet prescribed steroid eye drops, when the rabbits have an infection.
I disagree about using opiates. Not least because they are effective for only a matter of hours. The vet needs to identify the cause of the pain. Because a rabbit that needs continuous opiate medication is in serious trouble.

I can't remember which thread it was on, but you were asking about finding a new vet, when you move in October. You'll be less than half an hour away from FHB :D

I'm pleased they seem ok, and that Blaze coped with his dental and castrate.
I'm surprised the vet prescribed steroid eye drops, when the rabbits have an infection.
I disagree about using opiates. Not least because they are effective for only a matter of hours. The vet needs to identify the cause of the pain. Because a rabbit that needs continuous opiate medication is in serious trouble.

Maxitrol is a steroid eye drop for humans- which he has prescribed for both blaze and patch.

He didn't say what was the cause of pain. He just said if they need meds, bring them for an injection. It's better than using metacam. They seemed very anti metacam like it can causes stasis etc and other really bad problems.

I can't imagine baytril is going to be that effective using it every two weeks indefinitely. Surely they will develop and immunity to it.

What's the minimum length of time i should wait before taking them back for dentals- the vet didn't say- i assume they want me just to be aware and take them in if they look like they need any additional dentals.

He said it's long lasting the drug they use. It will get them through the worse pain. xx

I can't remember which thread it was on, but you were asking about finding a new vet, when you move in October. You'll be less than half an hour away from FHB :D

It's down the road- 5 minutes away- so will try them. There are plenty of vets in the area too xx

Back