• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting couples

Estelle

Wise Old Thumper
I've had to separate Amber and Dexter because he has just attacked her in the run and damaged her ear :( They get on ok most of the time but he does chase her a lot. He's no where near the other rabbit so I don't think that has upset him.

They have been together for 4 years now but for the last few months he's been chasing her more and more. I've just put them in the run together and he really went for her.
George is on the other side of the garden out of sight and they don't go on the same bit of grass so I don't know what's wrong with him.

Is this the end of their relationship? Does this sometimes happen in rabbit couples? :?

I think that would be worthwhile. There will be a reason for their divorce, and that will either by physical, or something in their environment causing it.

Its very common for rabbits to pick up illness in other rabbits before people, so it may be one of them knows the other is ill, or not feeling 100%.

A full check over at the vets is a must (including teeth, etc).

After that you can start to look at environment, such as new additions, different smells, etc.

so is it more likely that Amber is ill then if Dexter attacked her?

Yep..as I said on FB and Skyo has said..they can pick up things before they become noticeable
it may not be that but I'd get her and Dexter checked and keep an eye on them both..

Possibly, but equally if Dexter is feeling rubbish he may be taking it out on her (recently seen this exact situation with a dental bunny). could be either way.

A couple of years ago Alfie got picked on when he was losing weight. I separated him & Polly until he was better - we never got to the bottom of it. It was how I first noticed his weight loss though - a chunk of missing fur on his back:?

Hope they ok:D

they are in separate hutches but next to each other so they can still see each other. Will take them to the vets on Friday for a check up and see what they can find :?

and to add..it may not be illness, a cat or loud noise may have spooked them :?

I think it has been slowly escalating for a few months though. When I give them their veg instead of them both tucking in Amber would go for the food but Dexter just started to chase her instead. I doubled the amount of pellets I was giving them so they weren't hungry and they both eat plenty of hay during the day so don't think it was because he is starving.

He quite often chases her and pulls her fur out but at other times they'll be snuggled up together and look very happy. He went for her several times in the run yesterday though and tried to grab her by her neck. It was a very nasty attack not just bunny scuffles so I thought it was better to keep them apart before he caused a serious injury.

Is it just when you are present? Calel attacks Treacle if I stroke or try to pet her in any way:roll:

Is it just when you are present? Calel attacks Treacle if I stroke or try to pet her in any way:roll:

no we were in the kitchen but watching them from the back door. For the last couple of weeks he has been chasing her every time they go in the run together :?

Been to the vets today and they are both fine so that's not the reason for the fall out. After they were a bit out of sorts from the car ride I thought it would be a good time to put them back together so I gave their hutch a good clean out and popped them both back in with plenty of food to distract them.

Looking good so far. I have given strict orders to OH to keep them well out of the sight of George and not to put them in the run anywhere near where George has been in case that was what upset him :?

If that doesn't work I'll send them both to 'Relate' and maybe set them up on a date night once a week. Maybe Amber needs to buy some sexy undies too! ;):lol::lol::lol:

It is also worth considering that although they may not be able to see the other buns, can they smell them from where they are? I have known this to be a problem in the past with peoples buns fighting

could be.... but they've lived next door to each other for the last 4 years without any problems :?

They've been snuggled up together all afternoon so will just keep a close eye on them and hope for the best.

Back