• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Setting up a rescue.....

VickyC83

Mama Doe
Anyone got any tips?

Do people who have set rescues up have sponsorships/deals with local vets/ pet shops?

I'm getting fed up of getting the run around trying to foster now. Have e-mailed/called loads of people and either get no response or get spoken to like ****.

If people don't want to accept my help that's fine,I'll try n do something myself :)

my tip would be don't do it..try to find a rescue near you who do need your help
This may well mean you need to be near the vets they use and have transport.

When you've fostered for a bit you will have more of an idea of the work involved

It's financially, physically and emotionally draining..you can't have a holiday when you want and Christmas day you'll be looking after bunnies and if you have a sick one in it means no drinking in case you need to get to vet.

If word gets around you rescue you'll have boxes left on your doorstep with bunnies in and you have to limit yourself or things get out of hand.
Saying no isn't easy as you then worry about the animals

You must also have a good knowledge of rabbit care and ideally some medical knowledge as well as a very good rabbit vet

having said that..
if you are financially secure, don't mind rabbits running your life, not having hols, don't mind being verbally abused by idiots on a regular basis, or having to cancel some social events due to buns and always having hay in your hair..then go for it..it does have it's rewarding side but is much harder work than most people think

Start very small, just take in a bunny or two and see how you get on, don't start advertising or set up a website at first , just put buns or rabbit rehome to start with, or else you will get inundated with calls before you are ready, start saving and find a great vet..

Did you contact Bunnymadhouse on here at BARC? They are in South Yorkshire. I know she has been poorly the last few days so might not have felt well enough to respond to all messages yet.

my tip would be don't do it..try to find a rescue near you who do need your help
This may well mean you need to be near the vets they use and have transport.

When you've fostered for a bit you will have more of an idea of the work involved

It's financially, physically and emotionally draining..you can't have a holiday when you want and Christmas day you'll be looking after bunnies and if you have a sick one in it means no drinking in case you need to get to vet.

If word gets around you rescue you'll have boxes left on your doorstep with bunnies in and you have to limit yourself or things get out of hand.
Saying no isn't easy as you then worry about the animals

You must also have a good knowledge of rabbit care and ideally some medical knowledge as well as a very good rabbit vet

having said that..
if you are financially secure, don't mind rabbits running your life, not having hols, don't mind being verbally abused by idiots on a regular basis, or having to cancel some social events due to buns and always having hay in your hair..then go for it..it does have it's rewarding side but is much harder work than most people think

Thank you for your honesty :)
I knowit's hard work and I know I have to be dedicated.
I can't drink, and don't go on hol much. I know I'dhave to give up a social life too. I have thought long and hard about it x

Start very small, just take in a bunny or two and see how you get on, don't start advertising or set up a website at first , just put buns or rabbit rehome to start with, or else you will get inundated with calls before you are ready, start saving and find a great vet..

Thank you. Fab advice :)

Did you contact Bunnymadhouse on here at BARC? They are in South Yorkshire. I know she has been poorly the last few days so might not have felt well enough to respond to all messages yet.

I e-mailed BARC, and had a response asking where I live but haven't heard anything back. It's still early days though. I didn't want to pm Bunnymadhouse as I knew she was poorly n didn't want to disturb her :)

Back