• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

After Spay Care - bedding options & care :-)sorry bit long

chelle

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

Just wanted to know what you have all used for after spay care in terms of bedding...and a few other bits:D.

Was your bedding chosen because of hygiene, easy to clean & replace, soft & warm, chewy buns? etc

Im worried about what the best thing to use is....I could use a fleece blanket - but wont the wee run off that & go everywhere?

Vetbed - well - it doenst look like i can wash it easly & dry quickly...so would need to get 2 pieces...ends up costing alot & when will I use it again.But will buy it if its the best thing....how often to change it?:?

Newspaper would absorb wee but would be cold & wet - but easy to replace.

My main concern is keeping the bunnies tummies dry & off any wee to stop infection.

Im useing a small cage for them once spayed and they will be indoors....& together. There will be no litter tray specifically...or should I put one in? It just means they will have less space to lie apart & will have to hop into it.:?

Hay will be provided in toilet rolls, water bowl etc

I presume its fine to keep them together once spayed & in recovery?

Im also presuming they can travel back from the vets after surgery together in a cat carrier? They wont be uncomfortable and want to lay out?

Thanks - I have already asked the vet receptionist a few questions - but was not told about aftercare much or that they would need a lunch packed either...:?
Is it normal to be told to take them lunch?
Im going to ring with a few more questions - like fluid therapy etc....weight of Indiana & her messy bum etc....any questions you think I should ask please fee free to tell me!:)

I did feel like they thought I was abit OTT.....umm.....no - just making sure the care is in place & i know what Im doing ...:roll:

Theres an article on my webiste about getting your buns spayed, which may be of use.

I use fleece blankets and hay. They then seem to pick and choose which they want to lie on depending on how they feel.

I chose fleece so that it didn't shed and stick to them, so that the diggers and chewers would not ingest any strands, at worst, just a bite size amount (which has not been a problem anyway). I didn't find a problem with wee, they generally weed over the edge- onto the newspaper underneath. For some of them I used cushions, actually (like animal ones you get from palces like pets at home), but some didn't like them. She will probably have a preference so maybe a selection might be better?

The most important question I think is pain relief. She MUST have pain relief for a few days after. Its barbaric to not have it.

I have never been in the situation where a bunny being spayed has already been bonded with someone who didn't need a spay, but I did keep the Dopeys together throughout their spays.

I've never been told to take a lunch for them, but always do and the nurses always use it. I just prefer to know they have something that I know they like.

Last edited:
Thanks Sky-O - I will have a look at your website.

Im thinking perhaps then newspaper & fleece blanket. I just bought them one & it was quite funny as Indiana just sat on it & Arrabella ran away - they were like "what is thats Pink thing!?" :lol::lol:

I also have snugglesafes for them....

They are both being spayed topgether.

I will enusr ethat pain relief is given before I leave the vets & if need be take some home with me.
Is it rec. to take some extra home with you?

thanks you!:love:

Yes, definitely take pain meds home with you. I give them to mine for at least 5 days. Imagine if a woman had a hysterectomy (or any othe ectomy) with only 24 hours pain relief.

Ah, if they are already bonded and being spayed together then I would say keep them together the whole way through. What I did with my Dopeys was keep them together that night, and then the next morning separated them for a short while (but next to each other) to check both were pooing (I watched for eating). That worked brilliantly.

They got a lot of comfort from each other. This was the evening the day after their spay.

Dopeys311.jpg

Sky-O - on the article - which is great by the way - it mentions....

~Some rabbits need their bonded friend with them as they go to the vets. This can ease the stress for the rabbit who is being operated on and also hopefully prevent any bond from being broken or stressed. Some vets encourage this, so talk to your vet about their practice before the day. Another option is, when they get home, to keep the bunnies next to each other, but not together.

Will it be ok to keep them together in a rather smallish cage after they have been spayed & are in recovery?:)

Ignore me - youre allready on the case! :lol::lol::lol: thanks!:lol:

Yes, definitely take pain meds home with you. I give them to mine for at least 5 days. Imagine if a woman had a hysterectomy (or any othe ectomy) with only 24 hours pain relief.

Ah, if they are already bonded and being spayed together then I would say keep them together the whole way through. What I did with my Dopeys was keep them together that night, and then the next morning separated them for a short while (but next to each other) to check both were pooing (I watched for eating). That worked brilliantly.

They got a lot of comfort from each other. This was the evening the day after their spay.

Dopeys311.jpg

Im gonna do that - thats great - I want them to stay together as they do comfort each other alot...well except when one trys to hump the other:roll:

Now to check thier wounds are ok....can I pick themup as usual....
I usally tuck my fingers under their fornt paws & chest & then scoop up their back legs & lay them in the crook of my arm on their backs - Indiana is fine but Arrabella does struggle sometimes...is this the way to check their wounds?:?
I dont want ot hurt them or to stretch their tums out too much...:(

I have real vetbed as I buns- it washes and can be dried very fast but your right if you have a frail, post op or ill rabbit one to snuggle on and one in the wash is better.
It certainly does what it says on the tin in terms of post op warmth and wicking wee away from a less mobile bun though.

Ask for post op pain relief- if they feel comfy they are more likely to eat well and recover faster and it certainly helped Teasel ignore her stitches when she was done.

Theres an article on my webiste about getting your buns spayed, which may be of use.

I use fleece blankets and hay. They then seem to pick and choose which they want to lie on depending on how they feel.

I chose fleece so that it didn't shed and stick to them, so that the diggers and chewers would not ingest any strands, at worst, just a bite size amount (which has not been a problem anyway). I didn't find a problem with wee, they generally weed over the edge- onto the newspaper underneath. For some of them I used cushions, actually (like animal ones you get from palces like pets at home), but some didn't like them. She will probably have a preference so maybe a selection might be better?

The most important question I think is pain relief. She MUST have pain relief for a few days after. Its barbaric to not have it.

I have never been in the situation where a bunny being spayed has already been bonded with someone who didn't need a spay, but I did keep the Dopeys together throughout their spays.

I've never been told to take a lunch for them, but always do and the nurses always use it. I just prefer to know they have something that I know they like.

This.

When I've had buns spayed I've used cotton sheets for bedding and changed them daily. Not ideal for a "chewy" bun though I guess cos the strands wouldn't be good if eaten. I find fleece absorbs widdle quite nicely :)

I've got vetbed for Sukie, who goes in for her op a week tomorrow. I'll be letting her sleep on it a few days before to get her used to it - she just sleeps on the plastic cage floor at the mo.

Thanks guys - I ike the idea of fleece as its cosy - but was worried about it absorbing the wee...I thought it would run off abit....but I guess if they laying on it it may just soak in.:?
Vetbed would be great ...just drying time & dont want to have to get 2 pieces...not sure if my buns will chew this as its quite fluffy:? but great its hygienic & warm off the floor...:?

I use cotton sheet for their carrier currently & have found when they indoors useing it - they do wee on it...I have 2 though so just replace it...I could use these but worried it woud not be warm enough...maybe the sheets with the fleece blanket & snugglesafes they will be ok....:?

Just dont want them to be laying in wee.....

Sky-O...did you find laying on hay was a problem with their wounds?

You sound quite stressed about it, hopefully it won't be at all how your imagining; it certainly wasn't for me! they may possibly start hopping around early. I personally did put in a litter box, which she did use. I , thought it was a good idea just to try and keep their sleeping/resting area as clean as possible. Is your litter box high? mine is just a cat litter tray and quite easy to get into. I used clean towels which is quite absorbant. Also in the carrier I would reccomend putting something materially, like a towel to stop them sliding about to much; which wouldn't be great after an op.
I hope it goes well, and I'm sure it will! How old are they?

You sound quite stressed about it, hopefully it won't be at all how your imagining; it certainly wasn't for me! they may possibly start hopping around early. I personally did put in a litter box, which she did use. I , thought it was a good idea just to try and keep their sleeping/resting area as clean as possible. Is your litter box high? mine is just a cat litter tray and quite easy to get into. I used clean towels which is quite absorbant. Also in the carrier I would reccomend putting something materially, like a towel to stop them sliding about to much; which wouldn't be great after an op.
I hope it goes well, and I'm sure it will! How old are they?

:oops::lol: Yeah - I guess I am abit....I think because when I first got them - Indiana was really ill & i thought I was going to lose her...:( - fortuneatly I did the right things & she was ok...just a fragile bunny who seems to take ages to gain weight & has messy bums....:( SO have been waiting & waiting till she has put on abit of weight before they get spayed....and am worried that it will all go wrong:(...wheras Arrabella.....is physically alot stronger...

Im sure it will all be fine...:)
I have a cat litter tray for them when inside...so no its not high for them to jump over...more a hop....But as the cage that has been lent to me is small....really small....Im worried about them having space so they not on top of each other....they will have to be let out as I cant leave them in the cage all day...but as I dont have a pen or anything...goodness knpws how I will keep them form going mad running about....Im hoping they will do what they feel is ok for them with how they feel.
Ill think about the towel thing...good idea for litter tray....

Yeah - the sheet doesnt move about in the carrier...but I will pad it out more I think - cheers!:)

They are round about 8 months...soo really time for the spay...bless them...:)

mine was age 1, I wanted to wait till she put enough weight on as well; she is very small! Most creatures recover better with things at younger ages, yours are probably the perfect age. You will probably have extra stress trying to keep them still lol; I had mine in a small confined space too and she was going crazy destroying the blankets I put with her nearly straight away..not quite the forlorn figure I expected!
I see why you are worried with Indiana, just emember the vet won't put her through it if they think they can't cope! Hope it goes well for you all!

hi just wanted to say i know how stressed your feeling!
my poppys going in on friday to be spayed and i am petrified! :(
i could so easily be talked out of it! hope all goes well for you. X

my poppys going in on friday to be spayed and i am petrified! :(

...so could I, loulabell, 'specially when YOU know they're going in and they're still innocently hopping about oblivious to it all.

I'm having to rationalize it by thinking of when my dog had ops - was worried to death, but she ate half a chicken half-an-hour after she got home.:lol:

it may not be as bad as we think its gonna be? :? its not the after care im worried about its the anasetic! im just terrified! i know im gonna cry when i take her. :(.

mine was age 1, I wanted to wait till she put enough weight on as well; she is very small! Most creatures recover better with things at younger ages, yours are probably the perfect age. You will probably have extra stress trying to keep them still lol; I had mine in a small confined space too and she was going crazy destroying the blankets I put with her nearly straight away..not quite the forlorn figure I expected!
I see why you are worried with Indiana, just emember the vet won't put her through it if they think they can't cope! Hope it goes well for you all!

Thanks! Its good to know that - was thinking my girls are getting past their supposed due date for the op. Good to know your experience too...helps to calm the nerves! I think I may have a problem with space but can always let them out in their run on thepatio or something...will see how it goes.:D

loulabell
Warren Scout

my poppys going in on friday to be spayed and i am petrified!

Hi!:wave: Bless you - try stay calm ....hugs! Hope Poppy's goes well bless her! Will be thinking of you friday....deep breathes!:love:

...so could I, loulabell, 'specially when YOU know they're going in and they're still innocently hopping about oblivious to it all.

I'm having to rationalize it by thinking of when my dog had ops - was worried to death, but she ate half a chicken half-an-hour after she got home.:lol:

Oh goodnesss - thats the worst is looking at them happily hopping about & having fun knowing they will be sore soon...:( It helps to think what is good for them....:)

it may not be as bad as we think its gonna be? :? its not the after care im worried about its the anasetic! im just terrified! i know im gonna cry when i take her. :(.

Yes - Im sure oyu are right! Loads of buns have this op all the time...its cause they our babies that we worry so much & they are just so so small for the aneasthetic....oh goodness..its terrifying!:shock: I think i will cry too.....Im gonna feel such a fool when I do!:oops:
Im sure they will be well cared for...Ive got loads dried herbs & apple twigs etc for them all ready too!

We are not alone!:D:love::love::love:

My Girlies are going in tommorow,been up half the night worrying about it.
Just looking around for any aftercare advice.
Good luck with your two ill be thinking of you.:love:

Back