• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have a confession to make...

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you know myself and OH have been in a quandry recently over a petshop bun who stole our heart. It had been there for months and months and was always in a tiny cage on his own with nowhere to hide and nothing to play with :( We kept wondering about him but didnt enquire because to be honest we didnt want to buy from a petshop and of course we were worried about how Timmy and Mimi would react.
Yesterday we went in for supplies and made the mistake of asking about it: hes a male bun, about 6 months old, noone wants him coz hes difficult to handle. She proved it by trying to grab him :roll: to which he ran, thumped, fought and wriggled like crazy. The poor thing was so scared he weed himself :cry:
No way, i thought, i'd have to be insane to take on a difficult bun...so we took him home without a second thought! The poor guy isnt 'unhandleable' i can tell u that already and i havent even picked him up since we got him home. Hes just scared and needs time, patience and gentleness to win him over.
For now my main concern is bonding him with Timmy and Mimi, but one thing at a time. Im going into my vets this morning to book him in for a neuter in a few days time, i think that will calm him down alot.
For now we're keeping him out of sight of Timmy and Mimi although i know Timmy knows somethings going on as hes acting like a petulant child, not wanting strokes etc He'll def be the difficult one during bonding, which is funny coz he is by far the tinyest :lol:
Oh btw my new boy is called Max. I cant put pics up atm coz my comp is broken so am on my ipod :( To give u an idea he has very similar colourings to GrahamL's Biscuit, but hes abit fuzzier around the face. He has one ear that lops down and one that sticks straight up! :love:
Im very nervous about the whole thing but i feel like we made the right choice by giving him a chamce. Hes going to be a lovely boy in time i just know it. Just hope Timmy and Mimi agree, eeeek :?
New forum bunny Max says hi everyone :wave:

I think you definitely did the right thing. Lots of healing vibes for after the neuter and millions of bonding vibes for later on. Let us know how it goes :wave:

Thankyou :wave: Bonding vibes will definatly be needed, i'll be on here for lots of trio bonding advise nearer the time. Btw just thought, he looks abit like a small Archie aswell! :love:

As some of you know myself and OH have been in a quandry recently over a petshop bun who stole our heart. It had been there for months and months and was always in a tiny cage on his own with nowhere to hide and nothing to play with :( We kept wondering about him but didnt enquire because to be honest we didnt want to buy from a petshop and of course we were worried about how Timmy and Mimi would react.
Yesterday we went in for supplies and made the mistake of asking about it: hes a male bun, about 6 months old, noone wants him coz hes difficult to handle. She proved it by trying to grab him :roll: to which he ran, thumped, fought and wriggled like crazy. The poor thing was so scared he weed himself :cry:
No way, i thought, i'd have to be insane to take on a difficult bun...so we took him home without a second thought! The poor guy isnt 'unhandleable' i can tell u that already and i havent even picked him up since we got him home. Hes just scared and needs time, patience and gentleness to win him over.
For now my main concern is bonding him with Timmy and Mimi, but one thing at a time. Im going into my vets this morning to book him in for a neuter in a few days time, i think that will calm him down alot.
For now we're keeping him out of sight of Timmy and Mimi although i know Timmy knows somethings going on as hes acting like a petulant child, not wanting strokes etc He'll def be the difficult one during bonding, which is funny coz he is by far the tinyest :lol:
Oh btw my new boy is called Max. I cant put pics up atm coz my comp is broken so am on my ipod :( To give u an idea he has very similar colourings to GrahamL's Biscuit, but hes abit fuzzier around the face. He has one ear that lops down and one that sticks straight up! :love:
Im very nervous about the whole thing but i feel like we made the right choice by giving him a chamce. Hes going to be a lovely boy in time i just know it. Just hope Timmy and Mimi agree, eeeek :?
New forum bunny Max says hi everyone :wave:

i so knew you'd do it ;) Well done you hehe.

you so did the right thing! my zeke was a petshop bunny, he was out the back to be sent back to the breeder to have his problem "fixed" as he had a couple of growths. i just knew that if i didnt take him home, he'd be killed and i asked one of the girls that work at the petshop recently if i thought right and she confirmed it, she told me that they wouldn't of even bothered to do it humanely, it would've been a wringing his neck job or worse :shock: so I'd definately say you've done right and he will always know it too, my Zeke-Patrick is so appreciative of us every day, bless him! :love::love::love::love:

you so did the right thing! my zeke was a petshop bunny, he was out the back to be sent back to the breeder to have his problem "fixed" as he had a couple of growths. i just knew that if i didnt take him home, he'd be killed and i asked one of the girls that work at the petshop recently if i thought right and she confirmed it, she told me that they wouldn't of even bothered to do it humanely, it would've been a wringing his neck job or worse :shock: so I'd definately say you've done right and he will always know it too, my Zeke-Patrick is so appreciative of us every day, bless him! :love::love::love::love:

Aww well done for saving his life, cant believe they were gonna wring his neck :shock::evil: I hope Max will love us eventually, i have a sneaking suspicion hes a sweetheart deep down ;)
I dread to think what would have happened to him if wed left him. I really dont think anyone would have taken a large 'unhandleable' bun when there was loads of sweet baby buns around. We'll give him the best chance we can to become part of our family. Im DREADING bonding them though :shock:

Aww well done for saving his life, cant believe they were gonna wring his neck :shock::evil: I hope Max will love us eventually, i have a sneaking suspicion hes a sweetheart deep down ;)
I dread to think what would have happened to him if wed left him. I really dont think anyone would have taken a large 'unhandleable' bun when there was loads of sweet baby buns around. We'll give him the best chance we can to become part of our family. Im DREADING bonding them though :shock:

Don't think about the bonding yet, just get him used to the sights and smells and give him some fussings! :)

I don't think this should be a 'confession'. I think this should be a 'proud announcement' personally.

Lucky bunny! The only thing is that I would probably maybe give him a bit more time between bringing him home and neutering if he is that stressed and scared. However, he may come on a real treat now he is in a loving home.

Some times I think it is O.K to buy from a petshop, you did kind of rescue him. He sound lovely, look forward to seeing some pictures :love:

I don't think this should be a 'confession'. I think this should be a 'proud announcement' personally.
Lucky bunny! The only thing is that I would probably maybe give him a bit more time between bringing him home and neutering if he is that stressed and scared. However, he may come on a real treat now he is in a loving home.

I totally agree!!! I'm so glad you've given the poor thing a chance! Like Donna, i will also patiently wait for the news of when he grooms you for the first time :love:

I think you did the right thing, you've given him a shot at a really lovely life. pet shop buns don't ask to be born and stuck in a shop - they deserve a good home as much as every bun in rescue.

There was a bunny I saw in a pet shop a while ago. He was there for ages and I even gave him a name. Then one there was new stock and no sign of him. Ever since I've wondered if he went for dog food and wish I'd bought him home. :(

Thanks everyone :wave: I do feel abit guilty about buying him from a petshop but I do feel that he would have had a very slim chance of finding a good home if I hadnt taken him, especially seeing how he behaved with the shop assistant. It nearly put ME off to be honest, but when i saw him bury his face into my OHs arm i just knew we couldnt leave him.
Hes getting braver already, hes not hiding away and has even eaten out of my hand!
Hes booked in for his neuter on Thursday. Ideally id want to wait abit longer but in this case i think its best all round to get him done ASAP. Timmy knows theres an unneutered buck in the house and on top of that him and Mimi are now confined to my bedroom (9ft by 9ft) so that Max can have the lounge. I want to get things back to normal for my original 2 as soon as possible. I think Max will be ok anyway, hes abit wimpy but a tenacious little bun i can see already :love:

Just read this... aw Gemma he sounds lovley please do a bonding thread, I need to convince Ian a three will work :lol:

I did similar - kept looking at black bunny in P at H. Said they couldn't home him as no-one wanted him because he was big (although only v young). I couldn't bear it, so brought him home. He's big and beautiful. Neutered now, of course, and living with my other 2.

Back