• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice for bunny friendly cat repellent

mary64

New Kit
Hello! I thought I'd pick your bunny savvy brains on this:

I have a nice grassy (bunny safe) garden, where my 2 lovebuns like to hop around lots (only supervised of course), but I have this cat poop problem: I am the only person in my neighbourhood without dogs/cats so all the cats around decide to poop in my garden! Disgusting! I am really worried as i don't want my rabbits to miss out on outside playtime but obviously I would never let them run through cat poop!!!

Does anyone have any experience with a bunny friendly cat repellant? I am wary of chemicals & sound barriers as I'm worried it might affect the buns!

Mary x:rabbit2:x

I have an ultrasonic cat alarm in my garden and it doesn't worry the buns at all (it's the Catwatch alarm as tested by the RSPB). It's under my bird table and the buns happily hop round it and activate it - they don't even turn to look at it when I know it's making it's alarm call. It's supposed to only be audible to cats. The dogs don't worry about it either so I think you could easily give one of those a go without it harming the bunnies.

Some people say you should string a wire an inch or two above your fence (all round the perimeter of the fence). If the cat can't stand on the fence, it makes it harder to climb into your garden. But this doesn't help if it's got stuff to stand on either side of the fence as it can just jump over and bypass the wire.

oooh thanks! I always wondered about those cat alarms, I might well give it a go now since you had good experience with it

Thanks!!:wave:

Thanks for this thread! I have exactly the same problem!! I don't want to hurt the cats but I REALLY hate cat poo! Especally because I don't even own a cat! I need a good way to deter them without harming them, so I will try this too :D! xxx

Just make sure you get one that states it's only audible to cats. Some of the cheaper ones are simply 'pest alarms' and are audible to cats, dogs, foxes, rabbits etc. As I said, mine is the Catwatch alarm as tested by the RSPB. I got it from here http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/catwatch-p-1358.html. It doesn't state here that the Catwatch is only audible to cats but it does on the box.

i fenced my garden in to keep my cats in...and it works on keeping the other cats out so buns are safe.:wave:

i must upload pics actually and the cost.........:lol:

Oooh thanks, really helpful thread :wave:

I'm having the same problem at the moment, new neighbour with a new cat means my front and back gardens have recently become a territory war (/communal litter ground) for 3 cats :roll: (and having been moving it 'fresh'....god the stench is vomit-worthy :x)

I'm allergic to cats too, so the option of 'getting a cat to solve the problem' isn't really a black & white solution for us :lol:

Oh god yeah the stench is horrible! I don't think some of the cats in our neighbourhood are fed well, they keep having diarrhea too! :roll:

I've got a sonic cat repellent on order now, and it says welcomes back wildlife into your garden, so it's safe for all animals except cats, dogs and foxes! Bingo! Thanks Mackers!

Hope it works for you! I can honestly say I've not seen next doors cat in my garden for ages now. It took a few weeks for the alarm to scare it off but it's certainly not lurking now - at least not during the day when I can see it :lol:. I bet it's like the KitKat advert during the night - as soon as I turn the lights off the cat hops over the fence and does cartwheels from one end of the garden to the other, blowing raspberries at the dogs and bunnies :lol::lol:.

grow catnip at the boundaries...stoned cats cant poop or pee or do much..but the buns love laughing at them:lol:

i have a thread in general chat about the catproofing i have.:wave:

Oh god yeah the stench is horrible! I don't think some of the cats in our neighbourhood are fed well, they keep having diarrhea too! :roll:

I've got a sonic cat repellent on order now, and it says welcomes back wildlife into your garden, so it's safe for all animals except cats, dogs and foxes! Bingo! Thanks Mackers!

Just registered because I have a problem with next doors cat terrorising my rabbit.

I've read a lot about the ultrasonic devices but similarly was worried about it harming the rabbit.

How did you get on with the one you ordered mary? Did it get rid of the cat and did it affect your rabbit?

Just make sure you get one that states it's only audible to cats. Some of the cheaper ones are simply 'pest alarms' and are audible to cats, dogs, foxes, rabbits etc. As I said, mine is the Catwatch alarm as tested by the RSPB. I got it from here http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/catwatch-p-1358.html. It doesn't state here that the Catwatch is only audible to cats but it does on the box.

Thanks for this info ... This is exactly what I have been looking for lately. I've been looking for a bunny friendly cat repellent alarm and not found anything which explicitly states that it is an alarm which hits a cat's hearing range and is outside of a bunny's.

My research found that a rabbit hears: 360-42,000 hz and a cat 45-64,000 hz (humans at 64-23,000hz) but I could not find details of the hz that any alarm emits at!

I did have a cat repellent alarm before I had bunnies which worked perfectly (til it broke) but since I have had my bunnies and no alarm the same cat has decided to start pooing in my garden again and I am not going to stand for it any more! :lol:

My cat hates Verbena. I don't know if it is bunny safe but if I use anything that smells of verbena on myself he won't come within three feet of me.

He particularly loathes citrus verbena.

After a bit more research I've just ordered this repellent alarm (it is half price at the moment and a lot cheaper than most others) which comes with an adjustable frequency dial. Not a lot of reviews out on it though but for £15 i am going to give it a go :)

http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=402{57}586

I am thinking setting 4 or 5 would get rid of a cat and not be heard by a bunny.

:)

The another one of the best animal repeller is cat repeller gun which gives you a protection from cats. Ultrasonic cat repeller is one such repeller. It obstructs the cat with in a range of twelve meters from its installation site without causing any permanent harm to the cat. It is very easy to install. It produces a ultrasonic sound .This sound is unbearable for cat and that is why it gets scared.

Back