• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can Mites Cause Weeping Eyes? U/D Been to Vets...

moss

Alpha Buck
My mini lop, Belle, went into stasis last Thursday. I've no idea why, but it wasn't a particularly bad one as she apparently started eating not long after I dropped her off in the morning. She also had two weepy eyes. I mentioned this to the vets but they didn't seem overly concerned. Picked her up on Thursday evening and she was fine, a bit dopey, but eating/pooing and the wet around her eyes had dried.

I noticed she had a couple of spots of mite on her back on Friday night, and on Saturday morning, she had one weepy eye again. I tried to get some Xeno 450 over the weekend, but the vets that were open didn't sell it, so I've only just got some tonight. Her right eye is still a bit weepy - I've had a look at it tonight and theres been a little tiny bit of gunk, which I've wiped with cooled boiled water. Just noticed though, above her eye, I can see some mite crawling around.

Can this be causing the weepy eye? I phoned the vets straightaway but they didn't have an appointment for this evening, so she's booked in tomorrow.

She seems absolutely fine in herself - didn't flinch while I bathed her eye and she's munching away and binkying around. Just don't want her to be suffering :(

Last edited:
Sounds as though she may have Dental problems. All her recent issues-Stasis, Weepy eyes, mites- are all symptoms seen in a 'Dental Rabbit'.

I would discuss this possibility with the Vet.

Sounds as though she may have Dental problems. All her recent issues-Stasis, Weepy eyes, mites- are all symptoms seen in a 'Dental Rabbit'.

I would discuss this possibility with the Vet.

Oh noo :( That's not what I wanted to hear. How quickly can the dental problems begin? She has her teeth checked regularly by my rabbit-savvy vet - they were even checked on Thursday when she had her stasis.

Its likely that the vet was not able to fully see all the teeth in her mouth (such as the ones right in the back). Another possibility is that it is tooth roots causing her problems so they would not be visible on examination, but would need an x-ray.

Just got back from seeing my lovely vet. He thinks it may have just been a blockage in her tear duct - he has flushed her tube out (sorry, not sure what it's actually called!) and she now has green stuff coming out - apparently that's just the fluid draining through.

He said there was no sign of infection and the gunk is just a build-up from where the tears haven't been draining through her tear duct properly.

He did check her teeth and said everything that he could see looked fine, so he's now asked me to watch what happens for the next week and if it continues to weep, he'll have to do an x-ray to look at her tooth roots. He said her teeth looked perfect inside her mouth.

He also treated the mite with the Xeno 450 I bought last night. He said we've caught it in the very early stages so one pipette should be enough to do it.

So fingers crossed it was just a blockage and her eye will stop weeping.

Belle's other eye appears to be weeping a little bit today :(

I'm not sure if the vet flushed both tear ducts or not. The one that was bad appears to be dry now. But the one that has been fine now seems a tiny bit wet. Any ideas why this might be? Could tooth roots cause the eyes to weep alternately in this way?

Belle's other eye appears to be weeping a little bit today :(

I'm not sure if the vet flushed both tear ducts or not. The one that was bad appears to be dry now. But the one that has been fine now seems a tiny bit wet. Any ideas why this might be? Could tooth roots cause the eyes to weep alternately in this way?

It can do, yes. But it is not always the case.

Back