• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur? to worm or not to worm

Louise G

Warren Scout
I have had rabbits all my life and have never previously wormed except once about six months ago I saw worms in one of my rabbits 'Bonnie' who is eleven years olds, droppings. I wormed him and his hutchmate for 28 days with Panacur which they hated but got used to and they seemed to put on weight. Again Bonnie has lost weight and I have looked into worming again but I am wondering if i should worm all of the rabbits. They share the garden with two dogs and a duck (who are all regularly wormed). We have 10 rabbits including one continental Giant that are housed in pairs. They are rescued bunnies so I don't know if they have ever been wormed. I just wondered if anyone could reccomend a wormer or if Panacur is the best? Bit unsure what to do for the best? Many thanks X

if you read my posts im sure you will think worming is a good idea:lol:
we are going through a nightmare at the moment and may have to put our beautiful bun to sleep:cry:
its the best thing to do for them...someone put on here that vet uk was the cheapest place to get panacur rabbit. i know that our french lop has 2 notches on the syringe a day so it can work out expensive to do alot of buns!! but i recommend it as i wouldnt want anyone else to go through what my bun and i are going through right now...if one bun gets it the lot could get it ....sorry to scare you but you need the facts!:lol:

I'm going to locate a thread for you in a second, but fenbendazole can be excellent for small intesinal parasites.

As for EC, the 'study' that links EC and fenbendazole was a grand total of two bunnies and it found in those two bunnies, if they were given fenbendazole whilst exposed to EC, they did not contract it. There have been no studies relating to rabbits that already have EC in their systems. Some people say that fenbendazole does not penetrate the blood brain barrier so if not of use for genuine active EC cases.

*goes to locate thread*

Thanks I have read through all the info :) hmmm think Im gonna have to mass order the Panacur then :p Just finished de-fleaing the troop aswell x

If you buy the Panacur 10% liquid it works out cheaper. Search the forum for Panacur Liquid to find the dosage for rabbits :)

I use the panacur granules (the ones marketed for cats and dogs). Peach is a large bun so weight-wise she's ok, and I value my fingers too much to try and attempt to syringe the rabbit version into her mouth. (Day one might be ok, but after that you can forget it. She's large, she's stong, and she has TEETH!).

To be honest I don't do it as often as I should, but since Tilly, my young kitten, received her first lot today I gave Peach some as well. In banana. Hopefully it will all have gone by the time I get home!

M

(Oh, and she also had some flubenvet which was put in the hens' food. I did check and was told that it wouldn't harm her)

I have just been given a 28 day course of Lapizole for Sprocket and Widget. Apparently it is more palatable than Panacur. We will see!

Back