• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hawthorn has myxi - UD post 420 almost 7 weeks in

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
This morning Hawthorn had a bit of a weeping eye on both sides - we checked his genitals and sure enough its myxi. He has a temperature and the smal start of a lump on the nose:cry::cry::cry:

Rushed him to the vet - though for no real reason as have all the meds we will need here.

Hwever she says she thinks it is not the nodular form but 'classic' myxi :cry::cry::cry: She is reporting the case to intervet in case its a new strain.

He was only vaccinated (and it was done properly) 7 weeks ago - I vaccinated them all start of August to prepare for the myxi season at its worst in sept.

I just can't understand it.

He is eating loads now of course but they always do at this stage -

I feel dreadful - we went through this all last September with Viola Rose (though in that case we were just coming up to her 6 monthly vaccine).

Hawthorn's looks different - both eyes very weepy.

Have put him indoors with his companion (please no posts telling me not to - have done this each time I have had it in the 'colony' and each time the other was ok as were all the other buns - support is vital to him at present).

I am gutted. he is my little grey man - I love him.

Last edited:
If he was my bun I'd keep him with his partner anyway, I don't think splitting them does any good.

:cry: I really really hope he's strong enough to beat this :( Lots of vibes from us and *hugs* for you too

Oh gosh, how worrying especially as the vaccine should be at its most effective at about this time. I read the title and assumed it would be nodular and I too am shocked that it seems to be 'proper' myxi. :(:(

Sending lots and lots of vibes for Hawthorn, poor little man.

I kept linus with frosty until towards the end, she caught a mild case and recovered from it,

linus was vax got weepy etc , I know this may be a stupid question to ask but have you dbl checked its not teeth

have you got a steamer or nebuliser just in case

Buns can get through myxi. I had five buns catch it and all survived. I kept them all together as they took comfort from each other. I had never had mine vaccinated (although a couple may have been done before I rehomed them) and I know they have a much better chance of survival if they have had the vaccine.

(Mine are now vaccinated religously every six months but I know they can still catch this awful disease).

Sending Hawthorn lots of getting better vibes xxxxxx

I kept linus with frosty until towards the end, she caught a mild case and recovered from it,

linus was vax got weepy etc , I know this may be a stupid question to ask but have you dbl checked its not teeth

have you got a steamer or nebuliser just in case

Yes we know its not teeth (and he has swollen genitals) and I have a nebuliser - at present the chest and nose are clear.

I am just dreading the next 48 hours.

I'm so sorry. Good luck with the next few days. If anyone can make him better it's you. You've done it before with Viola Rose so I'm sure you can do it again for Hawthorn.

Oh Twigs, I can not believe it! :shock: Not again! :cry:

Poor Hawthorn :cry: and poor you, to have to go through all of this again. Viola Rose however made a fantastic recovery thanks to your expert care and attention and I am CERTAIN Hawthorn will pull through as well.

You and your buns are in my thoughts xx

Oh no! I'm sorry Hawthorn's ill. :( I found Cloud's one little nodule a bit traumatic so I can only imagine what it must be like to know what you may be about to face now.

I hope Hawthorn will get through it quickly and without too much heartache.

I'll send some biiiiiig vibes! :wave:

Back