• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dandelion leaves from a field OK to give to my buns??

beccimarie

Mama Doe
iv just been walking in a field near me and the dandelion leaves are massive! I usually "grow my own" in the garden but there tiny! i was wondering if a washed them in cold water would they be ok to give to the bunny's? just worried about dog pee and stuff. bit of a silly Q but im so worried now caspers well i dont want to ruin it! but they are lovely and they love dandelions if its ok ill get them there all the time :D

If you dont know the state of the leaves (eg, animal urine/poop and sprays/pesticides from farmers etc) then i would NOT give them to the bun, you don't know what kind of things could be on them and they could be very bad for yuor bunny.

Hope that helps :wave:

I sometimes pick ones from fields. I know there is a chance they'll be contaminated with something, so it's up to you. But I take the chance. I only take them from a field that isn't used though, cos I think the farmer might be mad if I take dandelion leaves that are there for his cows to eat :lol:

thank you :D glad i asked that could have gone very wrong! :D

however great they may look i always have to tell myself "NO!" as we have loads of HUGE dandelions round here at the moment due to the bad weather and then good sunny days...just couldnt run the risk :)

Glad i could help!

there in the bin although they were lovly and big i just couldnt run the risk, the field is not used but i do know dogs go in there and i would hate them to get ill from a dandelion they will stick to there little dandelions :D thanks for letting me know! thats what these forums are for :D

I pick weeds from certain fields all the time. As long as they are not discoloured or have mould or powdery mildew growth and aren't on a main dog walking route (noticeable by large amounts of dog poo obviously!) then they will be fine :D:wave:

If they had any herbicide on them then they would not be lovely and green! They would be yellowed and the whole area would look treated.
I'm picking my weeds currently from the edges of a mazie field here in the country, they are beautiful healthy weeds and nothing wrong with them at all. I haven't even bothered to wash them.

The only time I do wash weeds is if I am picking them from the cemetery back home where lots of dogs get walked.

there in the bin although they were lovly and big i just couldnt run the risk, the field is not used but i do know dogs go in there and i would hate them to get ill from a dandelion they will stick to there little dandelions :D thanks for letting me know! thats what these forums are for :D

:cry: What a shame!

o no! i have just read your post!!! they where huge and very green :(:( there in the bin now, the field is deserted and we went out of the dog walking area into the long grass and picked them, o no! :(

The fields round me are sprayed with herbicide but don't show it. I am too scared to take risks, especially when dandelions are so easy to grow in my own garden :lol:

I wouldn't myself after smelling the stuff the farmer over the road sprays on his crops :mrgreen:

the land is not used as these people have brought it to build houses but have left a massive area which is just full of over grown grass and dandelions :roll:

i think what ill do is go deep into the field so there is not dogs there give one a good wash see how they are with it, the field i know is not used by any farmer, i try to grow in my garden but the so tiny :lol:

There is a bit of waste land at the end of my road which is not owned by anyone or used for anything. I saw some chickweed there once and thought, oh I'll get some tomorrow for the buns.

Went back the next day and it was all shrivelled and dead from weedkiller :shock: it's a good thing I hadn't picked it when i first saw it, it had probably only just been sprayed.

Back