• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about litter tray behaviour

Anne36

New Kit
We have a absolutely lovely 9 month old Mini lop bunny, we have trained him to use a litter tray since we got him back in March. During the summer he spent time out in his hutch and run outside in the garden and came in at night time as we have foxes in the area. We have now brought him in doors and he comes out for a run each day with us. He has some wood toys and a ball in his hutch to play with. We have noticed since we have brought him in he is scrabbling his litter tray spraying the contents everywhere although still using his litter tray normally. He was neutered at 7 months of age.

Has anyone any idea why this could be and how we can prevent him emptying his litter tray all over the hutch?

Many Thanks

Anne

It might be that he's just digging:) I had a problem with Basil's litter tray a month or so back. He had been using it nicely, one of those three sided corner trays, with a high back, then all of a sudden he started missing when he wee'd. Some kind folks on here recommended a simple high sided storage box. At first I thought he would struggle to get into it, it's about 18cm (6 inches) deep, maybe even a bit deeper, but it worked out fine. Just wondered if a high sided box might solve your problem too.

Last edited:
ours do this:lol: so we use a covered cat litter tray...plus he might just want somewhere to dig.. a big box with hay in is great, a piece of turf from the garden centre (£4) or some soil in a big container these are great fun!!
we put down plastic sheeting when they have turf or soil to protect the floor!! luckily we have laminate though:lol:

Some buns have a need to dig. Others will dig the litter tray as an association with something - a learned behaviour or frustration or boredom - can be many things, sometimes a few combined! Poppy sometimes does this when she is about to pass a furry poop - she gets frustrated with her latrine because she can't go when she wants to - the fur slows her tum down momentarily. She also does it when she is bored, feeling frisky, or is looking for a reaction from me! :roll::lol:

Back