• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice please.

jordie

New Kit
hi,i am picking up a rabbit which i bought for my older sister tomorrow as it is her birthday,she seen him last week and adored him.he is 16 weeks old. i am a carpenter to trade so i was going to build a hutch for him,i have been researching what materials i will need online.i was going to make the frame from finished timber and finish it with mesh.the only place i have found any is b&q,i would just like some advice as wether this type of mesh is suitable,and any other bits and bobs i will need to get the wee fella started.thanks in advance.

Hello!

If you use the search facility at the top of the page and look at housing you will get some excellent ideas for your homemade hutch.

Briefly the most important things to consider are size, weatherproofing and securtiy - at least 6' long by 2' (preferably 3') deep and 3' high, these are internal measurments, raised off the floor with legs - it is best also to have an attatched run of at least 6' in length. Any wood that bunny can get to and will therefore chew needs to be untreated and safe to chew ie not poisonous to rabbits or the hutch can be lined with ply so any edges are unreachable. The strongest welded mesh should be used and hole size needs to be considered to avoid preditor attack. Bolts rather than twist bars should be used. A good roof overhang with roofing felt. A secluded bedroom area. Nightime shutters are an excellent idea especially for the winter.

Remember bunny is likely to live 10 to 12 years so it is most economic in the long run to start with accommodation that will last.

Does the bun have anywhere to live until the hutch is built? Personally i'm against animals as being gifts as most end up in a rescue once the novelty has worn off and the expense, vet bills and hard work hits home. However. I would advise getting an indoor cage or pen for the bun to live in until the hutch is done. Most builders merchants sell mesh, wickes, homebase and most other garden centres do too. Ebay has a good selection. I would have a look at hutches in shops to see what you need build wise, and also get some food, bowls, a water bottle. hay and rack, bedding, litter tray, toys, a cover for the hutch at night etc :)

this will be an indoor hutch until the rabbit is used to his surroundings. i understand your concern with it being given as a gift,however myself and my sister are animal lovers and it wont go without.i would have taken him myself but i have a cat which i took in as his owner wasnt looking after him properly.thank you for the advice.as i said this will be his indoor accomidation.:)

Hiya :wave:

Welcome to the forums.

There are some threads about indoor housing here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.php?searchid=5573352

hopefully there will be some pics to give you ideas.

I recall someone saying mesh is a lot cheaper online than from places like B+Q so might be worth googling mesh suppliers to see what comes up.

Hope all goes well with your new rabbit and don't hesitate to ask here if there's anything you want to know :)

Hiya :wave:

Welcome to the forums.

There are some threads about indoor housing here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.php?searchid=5573352

hopefully there will be some pics to give you ideas.

I recall someone saying mesh is a lot cheaper online than from places like B+Q so might be worth googling mesh suppliers to see what comes up.

Hope all goes well with your new rabbit and don't hesitate to ask here if there's anything you want to know :)
thank you. im sure my sister will be on here once she has the wee fella,i will let her know should she need any advice to come on here.:)

Sorry, I always presume wooden hutches are for outdoor buns :) it would be easier to clean and more versatile indoors if you got him a puppy pen, you can use all 8 panels or less if you require and adapt it as her home or requirements change and its easier to move lol :) you could then buy him his jabs or if not already done, get him neutered for her etc. Not trying to interfere, just thinking from an ialternative perspective :)our indoor buns have their own rooms with a puppy crate or corner as their litter tray area and bunny proofing anything hazardous of course :) there's lots of options for indoor buns they are such entertaining creatures. Good on you for taking in the cat :) you could still get your own bun in future, if the cat is friendly enough :) our cats are scared of the 4 house buns lol. They get bullied! All the best for the new bunny chap x x

Back