• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it cruel.....

I don't think so, but every bunny is different. Some bunnies need a friend, others don't. Some bunnies are happy outside alone, other aren't.

I guess the accepted answer for this is no, but I can think of about 3 of mine that it would be cruel for.

Depends on the rabbit IMO. Some rabbits get on well with just their owner as a close companion, but it is considered kinder to get them a mate, especially since we can't be with them 24/7 because of work/etc.

Not cruel maybes frustrating for bun. We had winston and he followed me everwhere played etc etc. But after getting angel I see him cuddling up to her and realise thats who he should be with being a bunny. He changed and doesnt really play with me now or cuddle me which upsets me to how he was but when I watch them together I vowed I would always have 2.
Then came jack who lives upstairs by himself hoped he would go with others but dont think he will so now were thinking long and hard about a friend for him. If we had bigger house we would have one by now but its just the size of ours at mo.
Once you see 2 together then it changes you! Although some buns just want to be by themselves.

Thanks.

Bunzle hasbeen an only bunny since I got him. I spend all my spare time with him but sometime I feel this isn't enough and wonder if he would benefit from a friend.

If I haven't become a bunny foster carer I think I'm going to seriously look into getting him a little mate when I've had all the work done to my house andeverything has settled down.

I agree with winnies angel, once you see two rabbits together, you realise how much they need their own kind.

However, there are a few rabbits that seem to prefer theri own company. I still think you should give them the choice first though.

Of course it's not cruel.

Cruelty is keeping a rabbit in a 3ft box, not feeding or watering it on a regular basis, not cleaning it out regularly and not making sure their life is enriched by regular exercise and stimulation, not tending to it when ill, not ensuring it's nails/teeth are in good condition.

Bunzle is well cared for.... too well sometimes lol.
I do agree it is only fair to give him the choice though.

You certainly won't lose anything if you look into getting him a friend.

My Badger has lived inside as a single and inside as a pair (and before he was neutered outside as a single, but that's irrelevant for now). In both those situations he was exactly the same, still following us, still getting under our feet, still getting into places he shouldn't and still very much a people bunny, just when we weren't around he then had a friend to snuggle with.

It can make a difference to some, but won't make a difference to all.

Pie has always been a single house bun but whenI get back to the UK we'll be getting her a husbun. But Pie os quite happy on her own and loves human attention.
I have also had a bonded pair who wernt bothered by people at all, I think it depends on the rabbit(s) bt it is certainly NOT cruel!

nope its not cruel if they dont know any other way :wave::wave:

i do think that once they have had a partner and that partner dies its kinder to get them a new pal rather than keep them single then as theyve had bunny luv and should be allowed that again :love::love::love:

i do think that once they have had a partner and that partner dies its kinder to get them a new pal rather than keep them single then as theyve had bunny luv and should be allowed that again :love::love::love:

I was surprised by Badger when Rosie died but he was exactly the same and doesn't seem to miss her at all. He's a people bunny though, so I guess this is another one of those things that comes down to the bunny.

I was surprised by Badger when Rosie died but he was exactly the same and doesn't seem to miss her at all. He's a people bunny though, so I guess this is another one of those things that comes down to the bunny.

yeah Alvin put a brave face on for a few days, but im sure he was heading to stasis and didnt want to take any chances with him, he was actually binkying at the rescue next to other rabbits, so i know even if he fakes happiness he really needs other bunnies :love::love::love::love:

Holly had had a sister too at somepoint before the rescue who died :'(, she was really happy to meet Alvin... :D:D

so i base my opinion on only ever meeting three rabbits who are/were totally loved up in a couple :love::love::love::love:

i selfishly wish i had people bunnies but nope sadly they love other buns more :cry::cry:

yeah Alvin put a brave face on for a few days, but im sure he was heading to stasis and didnt want to take any chances with him, he was actually binkying at the rescue next to other rabbits, so i know even if he fakes happiness he really needs other bunnies :love::love::love::love:

Holly had had a sister too at somepoint before the rescue who died :'(, she was really happy to meet Alvin... :D:D

so i base my opinion on only ever meeting three rabbits who are/were totally loved up in a couple :love::love::love::love:

i selfishly wish i had people bunnies but nope sadly they love other buns more :cry::cry:

Alvin is a complicated little chappy isn't he :lol: He's so super lucky to have found his forever home with you :D And Holly too (and obviously Pearl as well). :love: Yours all hold a special place in my heart, especially Pearl. They are all incredibly lucky :)

Not cruel but most bunnies are happier in a pair/group I think. When Piglet lost her partner again I did think about keeping her on her own as she's fine alone but just looks so bored all the time & seeing her with the other 2 now she looks so much happier. Plus it means I get to have a bunny free room - no wee and poo over my floor anymore :D

Alvin is a complicated little chappy isn't he :lol: He's so super lucky to have found his forever home with you :D And Holly too (and obviously Pearl as well). :love: Yours all hold a special place in my heart, especially Pearl. They are all incredibly lucky :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol: hes a nightmare but is forgiven the instant he buzzes me :lol::lol::lol:

dont forget your aunty to a few wilde X's ill be posting millions of pics about next week ;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol: hes a nightmare but is forgiven the instant he buzzes me :lol::lol::lol:

dont forget your aunty to a few wilde X's ill be posting millions of pics about next week ;)

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I think it's ok if the bun has always been lone, but if they've had rabbit company in the past I think it would be unfair to leave them on their own.

I personally would never keep a single rabbit unless there were a real reason for it (I realise some people have buns with health issues that mean they can't be neutered and bonded etc).
It's not that I think it's cruel, just that I feel most rabbits benefit so much from having a friend of their own kind. It beats any treats or toys you can give them and no amount of attention can put you on their level.
I think that a rabbit with only human companionship is akin to a human being with only rabbit companionship. For some it might be ok, particularly if they've never known any different, but it's not my ideal.

This is something we were wondering about, after getting Rory. Whether or not we should just have him, or get a second bunny as a companion for him.

I think that it's nice for a rabbit to have another of it's kind around, to communicate in their bunny way with. In the past we usually had two ( apart from the very first time I had a rabbit as a child )

We got Suki just as Rory was approaching four months. The two adore each other's company. They are almost inseperable. It's so lovely!:D

I think give them the choice, and if they reject a partner bun then it's OK to keep them on their own as a housebun.

I've had a single housebun before who would not bond with any other rabbits (and the rescue tried for a whole year...) if anyone tried to say to me that she was unhappy and I was cruel keeping her on her own, then I would confidently say that they had no idea what they were talking about having never met her :lol:

Back