• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breaking claws

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
:?

What would cause claws to continually break off at the base and not regrow?

Could it just be old age? Although I have never seen it happen so frequently in an elderly bunny before :? or could it indicate a lack of something like calcium??

I am a little concerned as Mini now has more clawless toes than ones with claws after loosing another yesterday :(

I was thinking vitamin deficiency, and then calcium before I read the rest of your post but that's not based on anything concrete, just aybe suspicion?

I was thinking vitamin deficiency, and then calcium before I read the rest of your post but that's not based on anything concrete, just aybe suspicion?

Yes I was wondering that. She has a good diet now but having lived on crushed oats for 9 years isn't going to have done her any favours :roll: :( She must be in so much pain each time it happens :cry:

Yes I was wondering that. She has a good diet now but having lived on crushed oats for 9 years isn't going to have done her any favours :roll: :( She must be in so much pain each time it happens :cry:

Not necessarily. Is there any blood or do they just fall off? If they just fall out then I suspect the nail bed is already dead and the nerves with it.

Yes the conditions were disgusting. She was from the animal hoarder and came with Maisey who lived for around 3 weeeks :cry:

The ones that have come of in the past have healed nicely and don't seem to bother her :?

I think its another vet trip for her as don't want to increase calcium without speaking to a vet as she is so old and tiny, plus I have a concern about a spot on her eyelid.

Maybe it is caused by a lack of natural light? One of my Lymington fosters broke her thumb nail and it looks as if it is completely gone.

Maybe it is caused by a lack of natural light? One of my Lymington fosters broke her thumb nail and it looks as if it is completely gone.

Thats possible, yes Babs from Lymington lost one of hers too. I think she caught it in her huge dewlap the first time I put her out in the run :(

I have no idea, but I'd be interested to know if you find out! Thistle has four toes that have virtually no claw on. He just has stumpy little ones. They don't seem to have bled at all though which is weird. :?

I have no idea, but I'd be interested to know if you find out! Thistle has four toes that have virtually no claw on. He just has stumpy little ones. They don't seem to have bled at all though which is weird. :?

I will do. She is booked in for Friday. Couldn't get anything before that as we needed to block book for several bunnies. Obviously if she gets worse in anyway before then we will take her up earlier on her own.

I've posted on the other thread but thought it would be easier if I updated here too.

It is caused by a vitamin B deficiency from her previous horrifically poor diet :(

we saw the herbally vet who is going to look into a potion we can give Mini to help her :)

I've posted on the other thread but thought it would be easier if I updated here too.

It is caused by a vitamin B deficiency from her previous horrifically poor diet :(

we saw the herbally vet who is going to look into a potion we can give Mini to help her :)

Ooh, I think I may have missed the other thread :oops: I don't normally miss anything about little Mini! I'm slacking! :shock:

That's so sad that it's something left over from Mini's 'previous life'. It's kind of like it's haunting her. :( Although, having said that, it could have been something much worse.

I don't suppose Thistle has a vitimin B deficiency... I think I give him a good diet and I've had him since he was 6-8 months old. I wonder if his is a weight thing. Some of his toes curl and I'm sure it's because of how heavy he is and how much weight his little toes have to carry. Perhaps some of that weight gets transferred to his claws and they snap under pressure... :shock:

I think I might get him a vet appointment and ask if he could have a vitimin deficiency to though, just in case :)

Ooh, I think I may have missed the other thread :oops: I don't normally miss anything about little Mini! I'm slacking! :shock:

That's so sad that it's something left over from Mini's 'previous life'. It's kind of like it's haunting her. :( Although, having said that, it could have been something much worse.

I don't suppose Thistle has a vitimin B deficiency... I think I give him a good diet and I've had him since he was 6-8 months old. I wonder if his is a weight thing. Some of his toes curl and I'm sure it's because of how heavy he is and how much weight his little toes have to carry. Perhaps some of that weight gets transferred to his claws and they snap under pressure... :shock:

I think I might get him a vet appointment and ask if he could have a vitimin deficiency to though, just in case :)

The other thread was Dave's thread :wave: I just did an update of everyone who went to the vets today on there.

I am sure its not a deficiency with Thistle but it might be worth getting him checked out :)

The other thread was Dave's thread :wave: I just did an update of everyone who went to the vets today on there.

I am sure its not a deficiency with Thistle but it might be worth getting him checked out :)

I just found the other thread :wave: Bit of a rubbish day all round at Rainbow Rabbits huh?! :(

I'm pretty sure Thistle's problem will have something to do with his weight/gammy feet. His inside front toes are actually really twisted -

6053_128780408573_709523573_3199496_472044_n.jpg

- so the claws don't wear down on those toes (That's an old picture, they're obviously much too long in that photo. I've finally found some (dog!!) nail clippers that are strong enough to cope with his claws so I keep them much shorter now). Even when they've just been trimmed I can hear them clacking along the floor when he walks. :roll: He sounds like he's got high heals on when he runs! :lol:

Back