• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding

Bunsterz

Warren Scout
A year or so ago i tried to bond my 2 rabbits but it went horribly wrong from the word go, they just latched onto each other and Amber had to be stapled at 10pm at night! I currently have 3 rabbits and I am hoping to bond 2 of them in the next few weeks (need to wait a bit longer post castrate) these 2 have been in the run next to each other and seem very interested ine ach other. I have an indoor cage that i planned to use but they have both been in it post neuter, i can thoroughly disinfect it etc but does anyone have any advice on how to begin the bond? We will try a car journey and see how that goes but im worried a fight will break out like last time, thanks :)

There is loads of info on here about that. Try searching, especially in the Behaviour and Bonding forum.

Janice- ARC has amazing knowledge about bonding so her posts may be useful (you can access them through her profile). I have an article on bonding on my website (link in my sig- under 'Rabbit Info Articles') which has some useful info in.

I would say don't start bonding late in the day, mid morning can be a good time because its sleepy time. It needs to be fully neutral territory (i.e. cleaned with a distilled vinegar solution). It needs to be a small space.

You also need to remain completely calm and not be stressed during the process because they may react to that.

Are both neutered/spayed?

Thank you. Amber was spayed well over a year ago and Onyx was castrated about 4 weeks ago now but i will leave it another coupld of weeks to be sure all hormones are calm, although he wasnt hormonal before castrate, hes too lazy for that :lol:

Back