PDA

View Full Version : What do you put down on the bottom of your hutch?

Belgian hare boy
19-09-2010, 12:22 PM
I use hay at the bottom of my hutches what does every one else use ?

blue butterfly
19-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I put newspaper down first, then a layer of hemcore, then straw, then hay.

Becca
19-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Mine live in a dog kennel/run.
I have nothing on the floor apart from lino in the sleeping area at the moment but once winter comes i put straw down.

Sin_Siney
19-09-2010, 12:40 PM
I use bedding hay at the base of the hutches then put a layer of Barley hay/straw on top of that- it's so soft, they really like it.

Mr Cookie Bun
19-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Mine are in a playhouse but they have lino, then newspaper with either vet bed or old towels on top.

beki
19-09-2010, 03:12 PM
i use megazorb and then hay and straw in the bed area and hay in the litter tray

vee-jay
19-09-2010, 03:13 PM
mine have a layer of magazorb then a layer of Hay :)

WeeBarraxO
19-09-2010, 03:21 PM
mine have megazorb & hay :)

HathernRex
19-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Personally only use a 2 layer of SnowFlake wood shavings (used for soft horse bedding) hay is not absorbent enough or soft enough underfoot. I keep Rex Rabbits and due to them having very short silky fur they can suffer with pressure sores on the hocks, hence at least 2 of shavings.

They have a little hay and barley straw in there bedding compartment from now due to the weather starting to get chilly at night. Never use news paper due to the print tainting there fur.

The Duchess
19-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Personally only use a 2 layer of SnowFlake wood shavings (used for soft horse bedding) hay is not absorbent enough or soft enough underfoot. I keep Rex Rabbits and due to them having very short silky fur they can suffer with pressure sores on the hocks, hence at least 2 of shavings.

They have a little hay and barley straw in there bedding compartment from now due to the weather starting to get chilly at night. Never use news paper due to the print tainting there fur.

Have you ever read about the use of shavings? They are known to cause skin irritations (and respiratory issues) and I have rex, and would never use them because they can cause skin issues. I'd recommend you try something that in effect is 'cured' i.e. Megazorb or something like flax which is very soft for bunnies and would be useful with rex.

I use lino and then use litter trays with newspaper, Megazorb and hay topper.

puppyjess12345
19-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I use lino, with litter trays filled with newspaper then hay. :)

HathernRex
19-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Saw dust yes but I disagree large wood shavings are a far better form of bedding. My rabbits are all in top health and form; they must be due to sitting on the judging table. Wood flakes cornered out daily, full hutch clean out and disinfect twice weekly (unless its a doe with kits, then other factors come into play).

Will make no more comments on the matter as I do not wish to get involved in a flame ware over bedding.

georgie_f
19-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Nothing! My bunnies are litter trained so have a tray with Megazorb in and bedding hay in their sleepy areas. The shed, playhouse and hutch are all lined with lino. Come winter time I will be using fleecey blankets and old towels. :)

Vegan_Bunny
19-09-2010, 09:08 PM
lino for 2 floors and then my laminate flooring on the bottom floor :)

(my 2 are litter trained)

Ambience
19-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Just about to laminate the hutches i've bought and use newspaper as the flooring with hay. I currently use newspaper, and hay and cardboard for all over. I use megazorb on it's own in the litter tray as my lot seem to think if it has hay in, it's for sleeping on :)

In the winter i give alot more bedding as mine are outdoor buns. I still have shavings, which i used to use, but havent for several months now. I never had any problems with shavings, but i choose other bedding methods now.

I actually find hay quite an irritant in the hutches and find that newspaper or cardboard bedding is better, with hay kept in a hay rack and megazorb in the tray, although it does mean that my buns who prefer eating off the floor are not happy, so i have to alternate my methods at times-including putting hay in the litter trays.

Sayrah82
19-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Mine have flax then straw in the main section and megazorb then straw with lots of hay to munch on in their litter box, which takes up the whole of the 'bedroom' bit. Their hutch also has a ramp up to a mezzanine level and that has chewable grass mats on the floor!

catxx
19-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Their hutch is lino'd so in the "bed" area, of which one corner they've decided is a litter tray, they have newspaper down on top of the lino, then a deep bed of barley straw, plus a litter tray underneath in one corner.

in the main bit it's just lino and they have a litter tray they've decided is a bed, which has barley straw and hay. they snuggle in that.

OriginalFlintstone
19-09-2010, 09:48 PM
I generally use horse quality woodshavings and hay. My 2 pairs live in chicken run type hutch/runs and have lino on the bottom with 2 litter trays with megazorb and hay in a seperate pile. Roxy has megazorb and hay all over her hutch as she is a rex and it's softer than woodshavings. Moo has had previous respy problems so has megazorb all over to be on the safe side.

Livi
19-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Mine have a double storey hutch.....In the summer when its warm they have no bedding on the downstairs floor, just bare wood - which they seem to like....with just a carpet tile in one corner, but this is hardly used!

As soon as it begins to get chillier at night (ie now) they have the downstairs carpeted....its nice and soft but a little cosier...they also have a towel downstairs which they like to play with, dig, and occasionally snuggle in...

Upstairs the 'bedroom' area is carpeted in the warm months, but bedded down with vet bed and fleece blankets when its colder... and the bedroom also has a large hooded litter tray full of hay...

Not long had my buns, so still trial and error but always open to new ideas :)